Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What to do with gut pile?

Old 10-01-2004, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What to do with gut pile?

When I hunt the 'Burbs, especially if it is early and warm, I go back with a shovel and bury it. I don't want complaints from landowners. Later on when the temps dip or when hunting public ground, I let 'em fly on the ground for the critters to eat. I have gone back the next day and you could not tell there was a gut pile.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

ORIGINAL: Badatta2d

Save heart and liver and leave the rest!
A couple years ago we went down to Texas on a low fence ranch for a deer hunt.
Don't forget the Balls. In Texas you can be fined for not recovering all edible parts of the deer. Someone on this board said they eat them. So I guess you Texans better start looking for a tasty recipe. I would hate to see you get a fine.
lmao!!!
Old 10-01-2004, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I'm near any water like a pond or creek, I'll drag the deer over to it before I start gutting so I can clean my hands after I'm finished. If not I just gut the deer where it lays and leave the gut pile there. In my experience it doesn't affect future deer movement.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:01 PM
Typical Buck

During shotgun season, we drag them the the edge of the trees and field and gut em there. The landowners don't mind since it is usually a guy in our party that owns the land. and the birds and fox have it gone fast
Old 10-01-2004, 03:09 PM

I just gut them where they lay. The pile is usually mostly gone is a day or so and completely cleaned up in a few days. Doesn't hinder deer movement so I've seen. I've shot many deer right next to where I've shot a deer the day before.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:57 PM
Typical Buck

I'll actually collect mine in a garbage bag and take it home. The stomach makes a heck of a broth...........
Old 10-01-2004, 04:46 PM

I use the stomach lining as a water container, make deer calls out of the throat air tube, the liver and heart are good in chili and if you dry out the penis it makes a good tooth pic. I just leave it all lay, it draws in the coyotes and feral dogs than I can shoot them too!
Old 10-01-2004, 05:18 PM

[/quote]
Don't forget the Balls. In Texas you can be fined for not recovering all edible parts of the deer. Someone on this board said they eat them. So I guess you Texans better start looking for a tasty recipe. I would hate to see you get a fine.
[/quote]

Huh, I'll take my chances with the fine [:-]

I've only taken 2 whitetails in my short career, and I dragged it off into the brush around where I was cleaning. Two days later there wasn't a speck of nothing left of it!

Ken B
North Texas
Old 10-01-2004, 05:30 PM

Leave it where it lays....
Old 10-01-2004, 05:35 PM

take them and use them for coyote bait, and bag me a few yotes the land I hutn on most of the time the land owner has lots of chickens and pet rabbits that the coyotes like to snack on so I use the guts to pull them away from the land owners pets and bag them with either my bow or my 22-250 and drop them at 250 yards fun,fun

Quick Reply: What to do with gut pile?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.