Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

people and speed

Old 09-30-2004, 06:58 PM

Default people and speed

well i went to the pro shop to shoot a few rounds it was raining out.so i pull out my bow bowtech mighty mite and this other guy comes up to me and says he bets his bow is faster then mine i said alright and i thought it would be a good time to see what iam shooting. so i shoot 292 with 29 inch draw 386 grain arrow and 70 pound draw does that seem right it seems a little fast.. anyways this guy shoots a champion bow well he shoots and he is about a 28 inch draw length and he is shooting 30 inch draw with those high country arrows that are about 280 grians total and he shoots 317 so of course he was bragging and i didnt argue with him i just said lets see who can shoot better its a 25 yards range i put up a half dollars size piece of duck tape and 3 arrow group he goes frist never hit it all over the plce i shoot 3 shoots and all in the target he didnt say much just went on doing what ever he does.. why are people so involed with speed that they want to hurt there equipment. i know my arrows are not heavy but i would never shot 5 grains per pound and they shoot draw lengths that are way to big for them. just wanted to vent
Old 09-30-2004, 07:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: people and speed

292 sounds right to me. Thats around where I was shooting with my MM.

Some people have an inferiority complex and need something to make them feel cool. When they really need to realize they are total a$$es.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would have shot one of his arrows through that Mighty Mite........that would have shut his yap.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Matt.....You took the words right out of my mouth!
Old 09-30-2004, 08:12 PM

I have no idea what i am shooting. Is it a good thing to know or is it not a big deal? Also, what is the grain talk? I am shooting 100 grain broadheads? is that to light? If i was shooting 70lb draw and like 300 grain arrows would that be able to blow out the shoulder blade? Im lost on this stuff. When you said you are shooting 392 grain is that just your field points? Or the entire arrow and all?
Old 09-30-2004, 08:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

And to think, the difference means absolutely nothing. An arrow only travels a fraction of a second at normal shooting distances so he's only shooting a fraction of a second faster at 25 yards and yet, he can't hit what he's aiming at......that's way funny.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:01 PM

Is the speed of your bow a good thing to know? It could be, if you checked it often. It would let you know if something was wrong with your bow or something if your speeds started to change, but there are other ways to determin this.

I think there are two things some people should not know about there bows. One is the speed they are shooting, the other is the poundage they draw. The only reason you should need to know your poundage is to make sure you get the proper arrows. Other than that it will just mess with your head. To many people draw more weight than they should because they want a faster bow. If you didn't know the speed, or the draw weight you wouldn't be concerned with it and your bow would most likely fit you better. Just my opinion any way.

When we refer to Grain weight and it is above 200 grns (grains) we are usually talking about finnished arrows. That includes the tip (field tip or broad head, they should be the same weight), arrow shaft, and fletchings. If it is 75 grns to 150 grns we are usually talking about a tip or broad head. The most common is 100 and 125 grns.

Normally arrows now a days are going to be between 300 and 500 grns, with the norm around 350 to 400 grns I would guess. I could be wrong on that though, someone should do a poll on the average arrow weight or something. 300 grns would be pretty light for most average set ups. The reason we concern ourselves with it is because most bows are waranteed for 5 grns per lb of draw weight. If you are drawing 70 lbs your arrow should weigh no less than 350 gns, or you may cause harm to your bow from shooting too light of an arrow.

Actually there is more to it than just draw weight. Your draw length and how effecient your bow is also come into play. They just base it on a 30 inch draw length. If you have a shorter draw length like I do (26 inches) you can get away with shooting a bit lighter arrow because your bow does not produce as much energy as one with a 30 inch draw length. There is a minimum weight AMO chart on Bowjacksons sight.

http://home.att.net/~sajackson/archery.html

Hear is another link for you to check out.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm

Lots of explinations on this site for you.

Let me know if you want some more links for archery info.

Paul
Old 09-30-2004, 09:14 PM

Just to put things in prespective. The speed of sound is roughly a little over 700 fps, which benefits the deer with reaction time. So the difference in shooting 275 fps to 325 fps doesn't matter. You still have to hit what you are shooting at and the bow has to be quiet. The only difference is that at 40 yards there is about a six inch gap between the two speeds. So if you can hit with your bow, speed doesnt matter until one comes out that reaches @700 fps, which will not happen in our lifetimes. So know your bow and how it shoots, learn to hit with it and forget about the speed freaks.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:24 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Supposedly my crossbow shoots 240 fps. I don't know. I know I can hit my target with it. Would I like something faster? Only if I can hit with it. I've got the bottom end Horton Steel Force. I've harvested 2 doe with it. I don't want to jinx myself, but I havn't lost a deer with it. It's utilitarian. I have held some other crossbows that are just butter in your hands. Perhaps next year, I'll go faster. ....perhaps.

David
Old 09-30-2004, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

The speed of sound is roughly a little over 700 fps,
Actually,the speed of sound is about 761mph or 1100/fps.

Quick Reply: people and speed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.