Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Strangest, weirdest, coolest thing seen in the woods?

Old 10-01-2004, 08:39 AM

Default RE: Strangest, weirdest, coolest thing seen in the woods?

ORIGINAL: drop em were they stand

I ALSO SAW BIGFOOT!!!
hey, you jest, but i know a guy that SWEARS he was being watched by a "tall human-like, hairy figure" one time while he was hunting out of his stand. i personally think he's half goofy, but none-the-less he believes to this day he had an encounter with bigfoot...funny stuff...
Old 10-01-2004, 08:42 AM

Not sure which category this falls under .... A few years back during gun season I had gone back to NY and I was hunting around Lake Chatauqua and spotted a custom painted van (bright blue, purple and pink) in the woods on one of the snowmobile trails. There was only a light covering of snow, but the mag tires didn't do well on the muddy uphill grade and the guy must have gotten stuck.

I was getting closer when I heard someone shouting at me - "Hey - YOU come over here RIGHT NOW". What the .... ?

OK, well, I couldn't see who it was, so I was a bit hesitent. Again, "GET OVER HERE RIGHT NOW". As I got closer I could see two guys in uniform (CO's) and another guy up against the side of the van in handcuffs, just like on "Cops".

So I lower my gun and walk up. The game warden asks me if I'm hunting. Ummm, DUH! - I'm walking through the woods, wearing blaze orange, and carrying a shotgun - what did he think I was doing ?

Anyway, after having me empty my gun, checking my license, etc. the gamey asks if I knew the guy. I told him that I had met him in the area a couple of times over the years, and I asked what was going on.....

It seems the guy had tried driving into the woods, rather than walking (a violation - no motor vehicles allowed in the state forest), he was smoking pot - he had a big bag of weed sitting on the engine cover (another violation), had his LOADED shotgun sitting on the seat, window down, apparently waiting for a deer to walk along close by (a violation for the loaded weapon in the vehicle) - and the guy had gotten so stoned he had fallen asleep in the back.

They psychadelic van in the woods made me wonder what my hunting buddies had put in my coffee, and it was definitely strange, and seeing the jerk get busted was definitely pretty cool.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

A few years back i went hunting one afternoon. And just before dark i had three doe`s walk up and one within 15yrds. I shot it and double lunged her she turn and ran back the way she came. I new i had a good shot and not much daylight so i came down and started trailing here i followed the blood trail just out of sight of my stand when i looked up and saw a deer lying there on the ground and another standing near the one laying there stairing right me the one standing turned and ran off. But as i looked a little closer to the one lying on the ground. There was hair and meat all over the place. Then i thought that could not be my deer as i got closer i noticed that the deer had just died and there was a hole through the its side and the blood trail lead straight to it. I walk over to the deer and looked closer it was my deer alright. I rolled the deer over to see half the shoulder and most of the ribcage missing. Then i had a real weird felling that something was stairing at me. I reached and grabed my nife and gutted it right there and very fast if i remember. I throwed a drag strap around its neck and off i went but i got turned around and now it was almost to dark to see. So i reached in my bag and grabed my small flashlight i keep i turned it on to find out that the batterys were almost dead. I drug the deer a little further when i gave out of breath and yeld for help my nephew awsered back and i realized i was not far off the trail we came in on. We got the deer out no one could believe it! not even the DNR that came buy a little latter could believe how this deer looked and that it happend so fast after i shot it. He sead it was most likely coyotes and the deer must have droped right in front of them. i`ll` never forget it!
Old 10-01-2004, 11:43 AM

A couple of years ago...I had a nice grey squirrel rummaging for nuts about 20yards infront of me. I had a hunkering to shoot so I changed out my broadhead for a judo point and let one go at him. Imagine my surprise when I actually him him. He rolled a few times and then struggled beneath some old blowdowns with my arrow still attached to him. I assumed he had died and I would retrieve him later.

After a while, I had resumed deer hunting and had forgotten about the squirrel, when I see something going up the backside of a tree about 30 yards out in front of me. I get my binos on it and it's my arrow!! I can plainly see the blue and gold fletching..boink..boink..boinking up the backside of the tree. Apparently the squirrel was hit in the back quarter, and had dragged himself away while I wasn't looking, and was now trying to escape!

He eventually stopped and died in a tree crotch about 35 feet up. 2 days later I got my arrow after something had made a snack out of him.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well one time when I had just started bowhunting i was on my way too the stand for the morning, a little I might add I see this nice buck on the edge of the road crossing over into the section that i was going to be hunting. Well I flew up the road and got out grabbed my stuff and headed for my stand. Well I get too the edge of the road and see my buck crossing over to the next section. I grab my grunt call and start working this buck while on the ground. Well he responds and starts my way and I duck off into the woods. I crawl into my stand and set up and this squirrel comes crawling down the tree and is directly behind me on the backside of the tree and all the sudden he peeks around the tree. He was so close too my face that I could feel him breathing. Well he crawls on down to the base of my stand and decides to sit on my boot. Well here comes Mr. Buck so I start to stand up to get ready and this darn squirrel felt me moving my foot and decided to let everything in the woods know that things were bad in the neighborhood. Needless to say my buck retreated quickly. I did get my revenge on the little bushy tailed tree rat though when he crawled back up the tree and jump in front of my boot I kicked him halfway too Timbuktu.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

My father, Uncle and myself were small game hunting in PA. It was late season and we were rabbit hunting in a old strip mine. I come over a ridge and see a skunk. I yell to my uncle that there is a skunk down the ridge. He comes over as this skunk comes right at us, it is broad daylight and we are talking in normal tones, and the skunk keeps coming. We wave and kick the dirt, but old smelly keeps coming. My uncle says if he gets to that bucket about 10 feet away shoot him, somethings wrong with him. Well he keeps coming gets to the bucket and I shoot my trusty 12 gauge over/under from the hip. Of course I miss low. Shouldered the gun and whammo let him have it with the second barrel. We beat feet it out of there as the smell is coming on strong from the point blank blast of #6 shot.

I still wonder to this day if he was sick or some little girls pet that got out and never returned.