Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Foiled shots relived!!!

Old 09-29-2004, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Foiled shots relived!!!

Well i was wondering wiht the majority of the openers started or about to start , seeing what your worst mishap was when going to shoot at an animal with your bow.

For me , i would have to say the time i called a rutting buck in with my CAN call from primos , and he came straight in to about 5 yards. I drea , angled down on him , and pulled the trigger. CRACK is all i heard , the deer jumped up , ran about 15 yards and stopped in the edge of some brsuh, all i see is my arrow sticking in the ground where the deer had been standing... only there is no blood on the shaft that i can see , so what the heck happened im thinkin, it was then that i turned to see the deer walking back to another opening , i hit the CAN again , and he came back , i got anoher arrow and drew , only something was wrong , i didnt have a kisser button . next i let down and the buck eventually walked off ..

What had happened was when i drew on such a steep angle , my grunt tube swun out of my jacket , when i released , the bow string hit my grunt tube , sending the arrow just high , and shattering my kisser button.

So what has happened to you on a hunt to foil your shot on an animal??
Old 09-29-2004, 05:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Foiled shots relived!!!

I blew my chance at a record book deer when, in my stupidity, I touched the rhody on the scrape line I knew he traveled. He got within 25 yards, smelled right where I had walked, and got real nervous for about 2 minutes. There I was in the Lounge, knees smacking together, praying that he'd move out from under the sassafras that was blocking my shot. The wind picked up, swirled, and he was gone like he'd seen a ghost. His reaction was obviously why he'd gotten sooooo big.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:51 AM

I was in my stand during the rut a couple years ago. A nice 10 pointer around 130 inches came in chasing a hot doe. I drew and meeped, barked, grunted, even yelled stop a few times. The deer continued to do circles around my stand. finally they chased each other away, never acting like I was there. I sit down a look up, there about 35 yrds away looking right at me was a monster. He heard it all. So MY MOUTH foiled that shot! BTW My neighbor shot that deer later. He grossed 175 I believe.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow riverbottom that is hard to take...

just goes to show you tho what can happen when we get too focused on the obvious in the woods!