Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

An early rut this year?

Old 09-28-2004, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default An early rut this year?

Everything here is way ahead of schedule. Rubs started showing up before the season started and now they're everywhere -- about like early November. In addition to the shredded trees, scrapes are beginning to appear -- and they're being freshend. I watched a buck last week bothering does and sniffing each of them. And just two mornings ago, I had a buck come in before light grunting!

All this activity and it's still September. Since this is what I typically see in late Oct/early Nov, it's going to be interesting to see what happens then.

Is this happening elsewhere?
Old 09-28-2004, 03:19 PM

Default RE: An early rut this year?

Actually I have noticed some light pre rut activity. Seeing a lot of small and bigger bucks individually and not traveling in thier bachelor groups. Found some nice scrapes walking into sons stand the other day. I also observed a nice little 6 point chasing a few does around. The weather here has been fluctuating lately, real cool mornings, mild mid days and cool evenings. Should be an exciting pre rut and rut this year.

P.S YES!!! They finally cut the corn down and the deer have been forced back into the woods. They are moving and staging at the woods edge approx 1 hour before dark in the evening and showing up at first last in the morning.

Dave
Old 09-28-2004, 03:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

You can't judge the rut by buck activity. Bucks are ready to go 24/7 this time of year and all the penned up aggression is bound to be shown in the woods. I agree about the corn. I've seen early corn cutting as well and could be an indication of buck activity in the woods via rubs and all.

Does are the ones that determine the rut. Until the does come into estrous, all the rubs in the world tell us nothing more than that a buck wasa once there. Bucks will check/ pester does all day but until you see the tarsal glands of the does turn black, I'm not convinced. I do however suppose the rut is affected one way or another depending on light, enviroment and hole nine yards but peak rut will still be around the 15th of Nov in my lattitude.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:43 PM
Typical Buck

Well put Rob, took the words right of my mouth.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rob--agreed. I would say the same thing if I was reading this and not seeing the same stuff around my place.

However, around here, we usually don't see much in the way of rubs until mid-Oct. Scrapes start showing up in late Oct when bucks are chasing and scent checking does more. Grunting is early Nov. This year, I'm seeing all of this BIG TIME right now. Today alone, I saw over 100 fresh rubs--some on 5"+ trees. The trees were shredded with some broken off. Scrapes are quite as prevalent yet, but they were there. This is the earliest I've heard a buck grunting too.

The rut will most likely take place at or near the usual time, but it may be more intense this year. I certainly hope so -- I've got my vacation scheduled for that time!
Old 09-28-2004, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now this is what i am talking about! I believe the weather has alot to do with the rut despite what people say about the photo period. I think if the bucks are cruisin then its going to be a great rut! Regardless if the does are in or not, its the big buck you want not the doe.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:39 PM

just because u see scrapes and rubs and the scrapes are being freshened that dosent mean that the rut is in what that means is that the bucks are ready but the does arent and that the pre rut is right around the corner. what the bucks are doing is they are marking there teritory and telling all the lesser bucks that that is his breeding ground and what u should do is go in there and try some rattling and gruntin to imotate an intruding buck or bucks but when u grunt try using a young buck grunt not a domonate buck grunt and dont be to agressive with the rattling just yet medium will be fine. now when those scrapes go cold thet means that the bucks are chassing the does and the rut is in full swing because the bucks are staying with the does and they dont have time to go back and freshen every scrape that is the time when u should combin the rattling and grunting with some doe bleats and stay on your stand all day (PRIMOS CAN CALL RECOMENDED) and as u see those scrapes start to be worked again then u should cut back on the doe bleats because the rut is coming to a close and is in its post rut stage
Old 09-29-2004, 02:50 AM

i also have been seeing alot of activaty lately,a little eralier than usual but who knows with the way this weather has been this year the bucks look like they are almost ready but its all up to the LADIES lol.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:35 AM

could it be the so-called "false rut" we're seeing? according to some whitetail experts, the full moon is what triggers breeding. the days leading up to the full moon and a few days after are reserved for the chase phase. 9-28 was the full moon, the first full moon after the autumn equinox.

most forum members dismiss the idea of the full moon triggering the rut (in this case, the "false rut.") these whitetail experts are also calling for an early rut this season based on when the second full moon after the autumn equinox occurs...so far, my area seems to be showing the "false rut." i will really be watching the rutting activity this season vs. moon phasing...
Old 09-29-2004, 09:24 AM

I'm surprised to hear that corn is being cut so early. I talk to some farmers here in WI and they said the cut would likely be later because we haven't had the high heat/humidity that causes the corn to mature quickly. Slower maturing leads to later harvest. Perhaps the weather has been different in your regions.

Quick Reply: An early rut this year?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.