Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Boy, do I have hunting fever bad !

Old 09-28-2004, 12:52 PM

Default Boy, do I have hunting fever bad !

I know for sure that I have hunting fever, bad! LoL

I built myself a small stand in some woods near my house (got permission from the land owner). It's just a small plank of plywood about 10-11 feet off the ground, but I wrapped camo fabric all around so the deer can't see me. I put several kinds of attractants out around the stand. Is it possible to put out "too many" attractants, and confuse the deer? Right now I've got whole corn, an apple salt lick, acorns (I collected a 5 lb. bucket full and dumped them in a pile by the stand), and some corn-scented attractant gel I bought at walmart called "Buck Snort". Yeah.. Lol..I really want to attract some deer.

I went out hunting last Friday morning, got out there around 6:30 and about 7:15 (right at sunrise), four does came within 20 yards of my stand! I'd really like to get a buck, but the closest doe was a huge one so I wanted to take a shot at her. I stood up without them noticing me, but when I went to draw back, my arrow fell ever so slightly into my arrow rest (I'm using a whisker biscuit). It was the slightest little movement but they detected it and were off in the blink of an eye. I didn't see any more the rest of the morning. I was a little upset, but I guess I'll just have to be more careful next time! I was dying to go yesterday and today, but with all this hurricane weather coming through, it's been nothing but rain and high winds. Tomorrow morning is supposed to be perfect, though, and with all the bad weather, I suppose deer will be hungry and on the move.

I can't wait !!

-Amy
Old 09-28-2004, 01:05 PM

Default RE: Boy, do I have hunting fever bad !

[8D] I know what you mean Amy, our season opens Oct.1 and i am a bear to be around right now==doing all kinds of primping and prepping to get that deer.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hopefully your weather cooperates and you can get back in to hunt your set up. Best of luck.

Shed
Old 09-28-2004, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the fever bad....lol. Waiting till Oct 16 is killing me. Been seeing a lot of deer, and shooting a lot. So I am fully prepared......

Also about the attractants....I would have them extended more around your stand if they are bunched together. I would scatter acorns around behind your stand, and maybe put some of the gel out with them. I would scatter them in a 15 yard diameter about 40 yards from the stand. I would then place the salt lick off to the left or right of your stand on a stump or trail. That leaves your corn, and I would put that infront of your stand around 25 yards away.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:55 PM

Yep. I'm ate up right now. Our season opened Labor Day weekend but's it's been too hot up until the last 2 weeks and I've had obligations that have kept me out of the woods. I'm heading out this Friday and no one can stop me!! I can't take it any more, I need to get into the woods!!