Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ever use a safty vest harness?

Old 09-28-2004, 04:40 AM

Default ever use a safty vest harness?

I've recently seen safety harnesses that are incorporated into a vest. Usually they're reversible, orange on one side, camo on the other.

Anyone used these yet? It seems like it'd be much easier to get into and out of than the regular tangled mess of web that most harnesses are.

Downside is that they're pretty expensive though. $99 at Bass Pro.

I'm thinking about getting one but need some info from someone who's used it already. Is it worth the extra $$$?
Old 09-28-2004, 05:05 AM

Default RE: ever use a safty vest harness?

I got one for my son. He was new to hunting and treestands and I felt that it was about the safest and easiest way to go. Very happy with it. It is easy to step into and put on and strapping to the tree is no problem. He is really comfortable in it. Only probelm, that isn't really any problem, is all the extra strapping. I have it wrapped around itself to take up the long ends. So far it has worked well and for my son. For me, it is piece of mind that my son is well strapped in.

I still use one loop around my waist and one around the tree. Might find me hanging upside down someday. I just don't like the feel of any harness including the vest.

Greg
Old 09-28-2004, 05:58 AM
Typical Buck

I purchased one from Cabelas last year and wouldn't be caught in a tree without it now. I paid around 60 bucks for it not on sale.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:59 AM
Dominant Buck

I have one. I always hated my harness. It's brand new and I wore it once in 3 years. Instead I opted for belts. Anyway, Len was always after me to wear my harness. He had the vest. He bought a new one this year and gave me his old one one day and said try it. Well it's got the neatest slide rope for length adjustments and pockets for radio and things. I'm still getting used to it when you have to position for a shot behind or on the wrong side..... but I wear it all the time. I even paid him something for it. SO, anyone need a brand new safety harness with the pouch and all that?[8D]
Old 09-28-2004, 09:06 AM

I got one this year and love it so far,, like the others have said,, i hated all the straps gettting tangled up on a full body harness,, so with the vest there are no straps at all to get tangled,, just put it on like a vest, buckle it, andhunt,,
Old 09-28-2004, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

I have always used the belt till this year and now I use the harness. However the two guys I hunt with have the vest and love it. I will have one for next year till then I'll fuss at the mess I have with my harness. They did add an extra buckel on top to keep the breast closed they also added extra pockets and don't have to carry in a day pack. Again I'll have one next year.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:04 PM

Do those vests come with a strap that goes around the tree as your climbing?If they don't then there no better than what I already have.
I trust my harness once I'm strapped in.My problem is that I'm vulnerable going up and coming down because I don't have a strap for that.
A lineman's strap would be nice but with all the branches I would have to keep unhooking to make it up the tree's
I think a store or magazine that specialize's in rock climbing would have what I'm looking for.Any idea's?Thanks
Old 09-28-2004, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was in a local outdoors shop last Saturday and looked at the SOP by Summit and even tried it on. Then I saw the Hunter Safety Vest and tried it on. The Summit body harness had the back and side rings for climbing but it was a little hard to figure out at first and I didn't like the plastic buckles and all the excess strap. The vest was very easy to put on and I really liked the automotive style buckles. The SOP was $49 and the vest was $89. I think I'm going to buy the vest before our season opener.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:28 PM

I bought the Hunter Safety System Vest this summer and used it for the first time this past week. I'm very satisfied with the vest and now I don't have to untangle my safety strap every morning in the dark.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where does the strap come off the vest? Wondering if it could be worn under any layers like a ASAT leafy suit.
Thanks
Steve

Quick Reply: ever use a safty vest harness?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.