Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Max hunting distance?

Old 09-28-2004, 06:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Max hunting distance?

If you go to www.bowjackson.com and know what your shooting sceck out the ballistics calibrator, you might be surprised how much KE your oing to ooose at 30 yards.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

A person's max distance is based on a lot of things and what's good for one sometimes doesn't apply to another. However as a general rule, newer bowhunters, I feel should limit thier shots to as close as possible. With your light side setup that is even more true. 20 at the very most. Good luck getting them close, that's where all the fun is anyways.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:23 AM

Zak

The only one who can determine your limit is you....... My advice would be limit your distance to what you are confident in. Keep in mind that a the farther you shot the more important it is to have the distance exactly right. You can misjudge 17 yards by a couple of yards and probably still be Ok, but make a 4-5 yard error at 35 yards and you have problems. Also the farther away you shoot the more time the animal has to react or just move for the heck of it. I personally have a 30 yard limit, but have never had to shoot past 22 yards.......

Good luck
Old 09-28-2004, 01:34 PM

Like said earlier, I'm not going to tell you what distance you should shoot deer at. I will tell you how I go about it though, and you can use that as a reference if you want.

I most likely have a simular set up as you. I pull about 60 lbs at 26 inches. I get around 240 fps with a 400 some grn arrow and under 50 ft/lbs of energy. I shoot a lot! And on my good days I shoot well enough groups at beyond 50 yards that I would be confident in hitting a deers vitals, providing I knew the exact range. I shoot enough that the archery part is second nature to me. Once I start to draw, my body takes over, I don't have to think about my grip, anchor or releasing the arrow. I just aim.

This being said, I am new to hunting (4 years) and realize my size limitations, and the fact that I cannot judge distance to save my life, let alone a deer's. So my self imposed limit is 25 yards, and prefere it closer than that. And to go along with it, I will wait for the right presentation for proper shot placement and try to only shoot at relaxed deer. There is so much more to shooting game than just flinging arrows in the back yard. You need to know the animals anatomy so you can put the arrow in the right place for the angle you are presented, and know what vitals the arrow will pass thru (aim for the exit wound and envision the path the arrow will take on it's way there). You also need to be able to judge body language, and that just takes experience is all. The more you screw up, the more you learn. Not to mention being able to judge distance and make a good shot under pressure.

I luckily don't have a problem with the buck feaver thing, I fall apart after the shot, not before (knock on wood!) And I own a laser range finder, best piece of gear I ever bought. So I range a 20 or 25 yard circle around my stand using natural landmarks. When a deer steps in that perimiter I know I'm good to go, no guessing to it. You could do the same thing by pacing it off or measuring it before the season starts when you set your stand. At any rate, be sure of the distance you are shooting, it looks different in a tree than it does on the ground. Play with a range finder enough and you will get better at ranging by sight. I have pretty much got 20 and 30 yards down now, but I still don't trust myself for hunting yet.

Also practice the way you are going to hunt. Wear the clothes you are going to hunt with, and practice shooting from a stand. It's quite a bit different than shooting from the ground. Remember to bend at the waste!

I would also suggest shooting while your adrenaline is up. Try running before you shoot or something. Like go to 30 yards and shoot an arrow, then run up to the target, pull the arrow, and run back and shoot again. Do this enough and your heart will be pumping like a deer is in front of you. Plus it will get you in good shape, wind sprints are great for you.

And keep practicing at 30 and 40 yards. The farther you practice at, the more confident you will be up closer. After shooting at 40 yards for a while, 20 will seem like a slam dunk.

Good luck this year,

Paul
Old 09-28-2004, 01:38 PM
Dominant Buck

My first year with a recurve I said my max distance would be 15 yards. I killed a deer the last 10 min of the season from a hassty ground blind at 7 yards. So here I am 34 years later with dozens of kills. I have no problem taking a 40 yard shot in the right situations. It depends on variables that must be applied instantly with conviction in the heat of the moment. I say I have no problem with the right 40 or 45 yard shot.... and yet I may have to pass a shot at 20-25 sometimes.