Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Son learns a valuable lesson !!!! UPDATE

Old 09-27-2004, 05:04 PM

Default Son learns a valuable lesson !!!! UPDATE

Wanted to share this with you guys, I found it rather entertaining. My 12 year old who is bowhunting for the first time this year decides thursday he did not want to go. So Old dad wonders out the the door at 3:45pm and decides to sit in his sons treestand. Before going any further I want to let you know I have instructed him not to shoot does with fawns traveling with them and NO spike bucks. Anyways, at approx. 6pm to my left at 50 yards comes a deer walking thru a thicket.

I stand and wait for the deer to come into the opening which would be about 25 yards away. Well once he cleared the thicket I saw the biggest fork buck I have ever seen, this deer was large in body and his fork rack had to be atleast 18 inches long. When the deer turned broadside to feed on some acorns I gently hung my bow up and pulled out the digital camera.

As soon as i clicked off the first shot in came 3 does and a small spike buck. When i got home my son says hey dad did you see anything, so I told him to look at the camera. All of a sudden he yells out "HEY" thats my treestand your in " no fair".

That boy kicked himself in the butt all night for not going hunting with old dad).

Will post the picks as soon as my wife finds the cord that hooks up the camera to the computer.

Dave

EDIT: 10/12/04 Today my son comes home with 3 C's 2 B's and 2 A's on his report card so I decide he needs to take a few days off from hunting in the evening to study and bring up those C grades to B's. So once again at 3:45pm I hit the woods get up in my treestand by 4:15pm.
About 5:30pm in comes a 6 point and a descent 8 point buck. These guys are fighting and chasing each other like the world is going to end tonight or something. Anyways after a 5 minute chase and fight the 6 pt trotts off down the trail towards my sons stand.

I considered taking the 8 pt but have seen bigger dear so I let him pass also ( heading right towards my sons stand). I watch through my binos as both deer pass run under my sons stand no more than 2 minutes apart. Now I feel real BAD for not letting the young man go hunting, BUT WAIT, the deer gods seem they want to punish me for this decision.)

Approx. 10 mins. after I watch them pass my sons stand here comes a fork buck with two does. They walk around my stand eating acorns and just having a good ole time and within 5 minutes or so they head straight for my sons stand also. SOOOOO by now I am feeling like a real jerk about the staying home to study thing. Now heres were it gets real bad, for the next 45 mins. I watch 7 more deer pass by my stand, 4 does and 3 more smaller bucks. Another small 6 pt, and 2 more forker bucks. ONCE again they all head down the trail and pass within 15 yards of my sons stand.

Oh well being a parent isnt always easy I guess, time to go in and let him know what happen.

Dave
Old 09-27-2004, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Son learns a valuable lesson !!!!

LOL I bet he doesn't miss the next day out.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Welcome to the board. That's a great story.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a great story. I love it when the Dad wins. Oh by the way I am 39 and my son is 16. I don't win often but when I do it sure is sweet.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:13 PM

Great story!! I imagine that will be one he will be telling his kids many years down the road.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:36 PM

Great story!!
Old 09-27-2004, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto... Great Story - I'll have to store that in the old memory bank for when my son is old enough to oversleep
Old 09-27-2004, 09:37 PM

You couldn't have asked for a better picture perfect story.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:56 AM

yep lesson learned. Bet hes in that stand next time you leave the house lol

Old 09-28-2004, 02:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

We here all kinds of High tech ways to see deer. As far as I'm concerned nothing takes the place of TIME spent on the stand. Hours ,all day everyday

Quick Reply: Son learns a valuable lesson !!!! UPDATE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.