Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrow flight problems

Old 09-27-2004, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Arrow flight problems

I've set my own bow up for years, but for some reason, I'm having problems with my PSE lightning cam.

I'm getting a fish tailing problem, but the rest is dead center.
Could having too short of a draw length be the culprit???

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
keith
Old 09-27-2004, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow flight problems

Are the arrows spined correctly? Sometimes a stiff arrow can be cured with a heavier head. Opposite is true for arrows too light of spine.

Vane/fletch clearance??

Check one thing. For this test put a strip of tape vertically on your target. Shoot at the tape at say 10 yds and see if your arrows hit in line (left to right) with your pins and the tape. Don't adjust your pins. Then do this at 20 and 30 yds. If your arrows drift further away from your aiming point, the further you go back, adjust your rest until they strike in a vertical line, which may be parallel with the tape or in line with the tape, regardless of the distance. Then adjust pins.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

My paper test (at 5 yards away) are constantly tearing at a 2:00 angle. So the arrows are coming out of the bow fishtailing, and more than likely hitting the TM rest on the way out too.

I've got my draw length set so my arm is slightly bent. It's never been a problem in the past, but something just isn't right.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:14 AM

Have you down loaded the tuning guide from easton
http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloads/

It's best to correct the up/down tear first and then the right/left tear. Only change 1 variable at a time.

What bow are you shooting? I also have a lightning 3 cam in my firestorm
Old 09-28-2004, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Two things to look for. Number 1: When was the last time you changed stings. Of all the problems, this could be the big one. Strings may look fine above and below the center serving. Most often, the string stands start to break under the nock set.
If you have a new string, it sounds like you are nock set moved. Check closely to see if you center serving is loose. If not, your nock set is moving. Loosen your nock set just enough that you can turn it on the string. (link a nut on a bolt) If your tear is upward, turn your set up one full turn. Lightly clamp the set and try a shot. If your arrow still tears high, give it one more turn. This should eleminate your high shot and bring the impact back to the original setting.
Good Hunting...
Old 09-28-2004, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

All of those could be the source. What is the cut on your arrows? I had a buddy who had his too long and he encountered some problems.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

It acts like a spine problem.

I shoot Beman ISC400 arrows cut to 28" w/100 grain tips, out of a Fireflight lightning cam at 29" with 55 lbs. pull.

I'm starting to fry my noodle...
Old 09-29-2004, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

I've done small and large nock changes, as well as rest adjustments.

Bare and fletched arrows give the same paper tear.

The cable guide was a little to far out, but didn't solve problem.

I'm getting really good groupings, but I don't want poor arrow flight in the back of my head while drawing on a deer...ya know.