Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What noise to stop a walking deer

Old 09-27-2004, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What noise to stop a walking deer

I do the maaaaaa noise. If you do it right it sounds like a doe grunt or a doe bleat. What you have to watch is how loud you do it. If the deer is close and relaxed it can spook them if you do it loud. However, if the deer is moving pretty quick or is out at 25 yards or so, you sometimes need to get pretty loud with it. If that doesn't work, I have even hollered at them. The sound will typically echo and they can't determine where it's coming from so they stop and try to pinpoint the sound.

I use a hands free grunt call that works by inhaling instead of exhaling.

I can do it at full draw, completley hads free and with only 2-3 inches of movement of my head.
I can do mine at full draw with my pin already on the deer and don't have to move my head at all I have done this so many times that I have absolute faith in this method. Plus I don't ever have to woory about droppping my call or leaving it at home

I would offer one word of advise to those who use this method. Sometimes it's awkward to make yourself make a noise while you are preparing to shoot (or atleast it was for me). Your mind is focusing most of it's attention on the shot and the sequence that you have set up for yourself. It can be awkward. So I actually practice while I am shooting. I draw the bow get the pin on the target and then maaaaa and trip the release. Plus the more you do the noise the more you can perfect it and the more natural it becomes. I alos practice making the noise while I am watching hunting shows (the wife loves that). Wehn the deer get to where I would shoot them from the camera's angle then I practice my bleat to stop them and put my imaginary pin where it needs to go etc. Let's face it you only get to pratice the actual shot on a couple of occaisions a year. The more mental conditioning that you can get in, the better off you are.