Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What noise to stop a walking deer

Old 09-25-2004, 08:33 AM

Default RE: What noise to stop a walking deer

If im bowhunting, ill use a soft bleat or a maaa. during the off season, i bought a Knight and Hale grunt call and is tiny, and you put it in teh corner of your mouth when you stop them. inhale call, makes a real soft grunt. If im rifle hunting, i usually use a whistle, espeically posting a drive or something when the deer are moving at a good clip. no way they can jump a bullet. i was reading somewhere that deer dont actually squat the string, but when they start running, they drop down a bit so they get maximum power from their back legs.

slayer
Old 09-25-2004, 08:45 AM
Typical Buck

I do the sheep sound also,it seems to work every time and does not seem to scare them off.Listen to it's sound almost sounds just like the small primos can call even more natural if you ask me.I do have the primos call too.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:43 AM

I try not to make any noise at all. I want the deer perfectly relaxed when I release the arrow. However in MI we can bait, so I usually throw four or five apples or something on the ground where I think the deer will be. This usually stops them right where I want them and gets them looking down or something. I'd be afraid to whistle or something and have the deer look right at me. From what I understand they have independant parabolic hearing and can locate sound very quickly.

If I had to though I would probably just try to imitate a grunt call with my mouth. I have thought about taking a turkey diaphram with me and chirping with it. That's about the most realistic sounding call I have.

Paul
Old 09-25-2004, 09:43 AM

I just do my own version of a buck grunt. I think whistling is your best bet but sometimes your lips are to cold and chapped out there to let out a good whistle [:'(] i prefer shooting them on a dead run at 50 yards with my bow though j/k.......gl this season
Old 09-27-2004, 06:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I usually fart. Then I don't need any arrow either they seem to just drop in their tracks.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:49 AM

David,
Yes it is, indeed, hands free. You may have to play with it a bit to get it positioned just right but I've used it 2 years now and I won't go without it now. Nice to be able to grunt and not put a deer on edge thinking there's a sheep in a tree while at full draw

I love mine and recommend it highly. Another nice part about the inhale is that it won't freeze like every other reed based grunt I've used in the Michigan late season.

Paul makes a good point as well...I only use this if they're hustling and I don't thin I'll get a second chance. I'd rather them be completely at ease and reduce the "string jumping factor" as much as possible but the Bowgrunter Plus can be extremely quiet as well and attached around the back...they can't quiet place where it came from even at 10-15 yards.

Like I said...they look right through you thinking it came from 30-40 yards away.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:51 AM
Dominant Buck

I usually use an arrow through the lungs. It stops them everytime. Seriously, I know the ethics police are going to have a picnic with this reply..... but if the deer is relaxed and walking along at a leasurely pace I just shoot if it's 25 and under. They're less likely to hear the bow go off or jump at the shot until it's too late. Just the slightest of leads and let it go. IF the shot is there I take it. If I have plenty of time for later shots I may wait, but I usually hunt some thick stuff and the holes are where they are. A deer at a little prance or one who has a little quickness to his step I may give a MMaaaaaaaaa to .... but more often I'll shoot a walking one or wait for him to stop on his own or let him go.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

a couple of my friends and i have the bowgrunter plus to ... great call....
i love it...
Old 09-27-2004, 08:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

but if the deer is relaxed and walking along at a leasurely pace I just shoot if it's 25 and under.
I totally agree.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:42 AM

Try making the sheep sound or whistle at the same time you release the arrow. They are less likely to jump the string and will stop to look around.

Quick Reply: What noise to stop a walking deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.