Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many of you practice falling out of your treestand?

Old 09-23-2004, 03:00 PM

Default How many of you practice falling out of your treestand?

I was reading the thread, "Another fall, another unnecessary injury" by rockytop when I thought of this question. How many of you guys practice falling out of your treestand? I practice regaining myself after the fall. How many of you guys do this?
Old 09-23-2004, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many of you practice falling out of your treestand?

i have never intentionally got off my stand to practice getting back in. i dont trust them if i dont have to. but i have put it on at ground level on a tree and lifted up my legs to feel the pressure it puts on and to make sure that it worked properly. not very comfortable. maybe its just the brand.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:28 PM

Nope, I get enough bumps, brusis, scabs and scars from everday life. [:@] I'm in good shape, know I can pull myself up on to anything I can get a grip on, and bought a good harness. You can call me silly, but much like the airbags in my truck I'll just trust it will work if I need it.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

HA HA when i first started Bow hunting, i did this. i got my stand set up and my anchor screwed into the tree... then i attached it to my climbing harnes... and said this isnt so bad, then proceded to JUMP out of my stand.... dumb... i had enough rope.. and i cam right back at the tree NOT expecting that i smashed into the tree. thought i sprained my ancle but really only bruised it. but at least im comfortable with it now.. i know if im gonna fall its not gonna be far!

i think i was still in tat stage you have to test out everything.. even the rules of gravity... as if they didnt aply to ME!
Old 09-23-2004, 03:35 PM
Dominant Buck

I saftey tested my stand once and found out yes it will absorb my weight as designed in the event of a firemans drop from about 20' up. I don't plan on redoing this test. I won't make the same mistake again.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:38 PM

Sorry guys I didn't mean jump out 20 ft in the air! I just stand on my Block and kick it out under me.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:41 PM

[8D]Kind of crazy man. I think I will just worry about the injurys and getting back in if it happens, anyways im in good enough shape to get back in if I have too and if not I do that other famous outdoorsman thing: Tell someone who cares about you where you are going to be at, so they can recover the body[]
And as for harnesses, way to much money for me, I just do the tried and true swiss seat-AIR ASSAULT-Whooaaa
Old 09-23-2004, 03:49 PM

LOL, that's crazy man. Why on earth would I test my safety belt? I have never fallen yet and if I do, I can climb right back up if I have to.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Zak,
You make a very good point, and one that I think many people seldom think about.....it might help to know what you can and can't accomplish while hanging from yuor safety belt or harness........
I know you belt guys will be in for a big surprise.
It might help identify a particular style of harness that just won't work for you, and show you what will need to be done if you are left dangling.

Just don't do it alone.
Always keep your safety line at a height that will not allow your knees to fall below the level of the platform. That's the biggie.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:22 PM
Dominant Buck

For the record, I didn't do it on purpose. I should have been in class. I was going back to class after our normal 3 hour break at the pool hall and the weather broke from a light rain to a mist. Great hunting weather can't be beat. Then the universal college motto was applied "You can always retake a class but never relive a party.". I thought real quick and came to the conclusion I had everything in my truck except boots. On an evening stand I can take cold feet for a little while.

Well between a few beers, smaller shoes and not enough pitch on the stand, it lead to a bad combination. The stand slipped as I was attempting to get a little higher, my feet were too close to the tree for the laws of physics enabling me to go up rather then down. Next thing you know I'm dropping like a rock. The stand crush while absorbing my fall (as designed). I found myself on the ground trying to get my bearings again. With in a min or two I inspected the stand and dertemined I could still hunt in it and set the pitch higher. Hunted that evening. The next day I was shipped an brand new replacement.

Quick Reply: How many of you practice falling out of your treestand?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.