Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big Woods Bowhunting for Bucks - Aerial Pics + Topo

Old 09-23-2004, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Big Woods Bowhunting for Bucks - Aerial Pics + Topo

Well this will be my first year in 3 seasons that I have made time to get back into bowhunting. I have lived in PA for the last 8 years, and had great success down there, but now I am back up in Vermont where it is all big woods hunting. There isn't nearly as much farm land around here to hunt, and what is here is either posted or swamped with hunters. All the spots I used to hunt as a kid are now posted, however I have access to a ton of big woods areas still and one decent farm. Below is the one farm that I still have permission to hunt. It does get slammed with bowhunters, usually 4-6 guys that hunt it pretty hard but most aren't that good and hunt the field edges pretty hard and thats it.

The area with red dots is an apple orchard that is overgown, unfortunately it is posted and I have no permission to be in there. Everything else south of that to the red line I have permission on. The green dots is a VERY thick swamp that the deer use for bedding. Hunters are on the south side of that swamp towards the fields, and there is one stand just east of the tip of it as well. The blue dots is a field that I ALWAYS see does and fawns in just before sundown, they bed in there only about 100 yards in. In this spot w/ the blue dots when I was a kid, the deer used this spot a lot, however would change their patterns quickly when hunting pressure was present and would no longer use this area till after dark, I also think hunters are in this spot as well as there is a treestand right where they come into the field. As far as I know, no one gets between the swamp and the apple orchard though, and I can be in that area.

Knowing this, what areas would you guys hunt and why? How would you access those spots when hiking in? Accessing from the north side of the swamp is pretty impossible as well, keep that in mind, I believe it is posted on the road there so I will have to access anything from the south side of the swamp. Season opens 10/2 and I need to get a treestand in there this Sunday when I have time......so quick suggestions are more than appreciated.

I shot my first buck where the power line goes up the mountain there when I was 10 y/o, and 2 big gobblers just north of there this spring.....

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2004, 09:48 AM

Default RE: Big Woods Bowhunting for Bucks - Aerial Pics + Topo

Since I dont know the area at all this is just a shot based off of the Aerial photo. I would put a stand up on the north end of the swamp right between the apple orchard and the swamp. Looks like it could be a funnel and it's a good bet that the deer will bed in the swamp then move in to feed on the apples. That area exposes them the least to the open woods and should see some action. Approach from the north.

Good luck.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go 1 of 2 routes to avoid other hunters and maximise topo funnels.

1. Scout/Hunt the area east of the orchards if you have permission, due to the sudden rise in elevation that is a good natural funnel and/or protection for deer traveling north to south and entering the orchards.

2. I would also scout the area where the red line meets the road for deer traveling down that creek to the agriculture fields.

Anyhow, thats where I would personally start.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bump because I am going in there Sunday and I don't have access to the computer tomorrow.

Any more input is much appreciated.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Without a doubt I would set up where I marked a yellow dot. It looks like a great funnel, it's right outside the thickest bedding area, the orchard runs right up to the bedding area and there shouldn't be too many hunters in there as you said.

Old 09-24-2004, 11:48 AM

Way down by the red line there is a small ridge that's dark green just to the left fo where the road and the red line cross. This looks like it might be a good set up. The road will act as a barrier as will the ridge. IMO the road is the key to the set up as whitetails always have an escape route. the road give then jjust that security. To the right of the ridge appears to be some sort of hardwoods as dose the area out in front and to the left of the ridge as well.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I hiked into the area between the swamp and apples this weekend, and as I got close to it, freakin posted signs everywhere.......[:@]

I set up a good stand on the below photo where the purple dot is. There is a hollow there that goes up the mountain that also has a stream flowing in it, there are pockets of water there with deer tracks all over them, it looks like they are drinking there. It appears as if they are only feeding in the fields with the orange dots in them, the rest of the fields now have cows in them and are grazed down pretty good. From what I have seen years ago when I used to hunt this patch, they come out of those fields with the orange dots, and wander through the patch of woods between my stand and the fields and then up that hollow to bed down. Tracks everywhere in there but no rubs, it will probably be a good spot for does I think. I will hike in on the north side of the fields north of the stand and then cut down so I don't disturb that patch of woods on the way in. Can't wait!!

Old 09-27-2004, 02:03 PM

Well I hiked into the area between the swamp and apples this weekend, and as I got close to it, freakin posted signs everywhere.......
Well, if it's private property and the owner want's to keep people from hunting it this is where I'd post the land. That funnel just sreams out to be hunted. I'm glad you found a spot down between the ridge and the road. I'm willing to bet that'll be a hot spot. One thing I've learmed from hunting big woods and consistantly seeing good deer within 100 yards of the only major road in the area is that deer love them for an escape route.

You'll have to keep us posted Rick. I'm curious to see how you make out.