Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Will carbon break down in the body?

Old 09-22-2004, 05:28 PM

Default Will carbon break down in the body?

I have a sort of odd question: Will little carbon splinters in my hand eventually break down? they're about 1 cm long and the same diameter as a hair. theres still quite a few of them since my injury, and while they havent caused any problems, i kinda wanna play it safe. thanks

slayer
Old 09-22-2004, 05:52 PM

Default RE: Will carbon break down in the body?

I broke an arrow and got some carbon splinters in my hand. I used the tweezer and a sewing needle to get most of them out. I am not sure if they will break down but I have not noticed any pain and I probably have a few left in me.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I seriously doubt they will ever break down. Carbon is a very tough material and although it bonds to most elements easily it is very difficult to release or even replace those bonds. Usually this requires intense heat.

My guess is the splinters will stay there until you remove them physically but they probably won't do any damage staying there.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:49 PM

If they are too deep for you to get out, I would go to a doctor and have them removed. Our bodies don't have the ability to break down the carbon fibers. That's why I always cringe when I read about someone on here cutting carbon arrows with a die grinder or dremmel. The dust is very fine and if it gets into your lungs, it embeds in them and its there forever. On a happier note, I don't know of any short term ill effects from carbon fibers. Good luck and be safe.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:50 PM

I would say as long as it's not infected don't worry about it. People have bullets, shrapnel and other stuff in their bods with no probs. I've got a piece of pencil lead in my palm that has been there since '88.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:11 PM

Carbon sure wont break down. Sometimes it will spread but thats it. Jailhouse tats are a good example of that. Burning plastic to gain the black carbon soot and mixed into a base and planted in the skin. They last forever.
I have one I did when I was a kid with pencil lead (its really carbon) and a staple. Still here. You shouldnt see any ill effects in your skin as long as its not a hard object that may cut, pinch, puncture or otherwise damage any tissue or nerves. The lungs are a different story and should be avoided at all cost.
Stryker777