Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My controversial question of the week

Old 09-24-2004, 02:38 AM

Default RE: My controversial question of the week

a lot of people see it as your stealing someone elses chance at taking a deer, but i'm kind of looking as a deer management issue.

I'm not sure exactally how it is where you hunt, but here in Michigan, each year the DMU's (Deer Management Units) have different ammounts of doe tags that they release in order to keep the population in check. For example, in northeastern michigan, there is a problem with TB. Up there ther is tons of doe tags available. Down in the southern part of the state, some counties only have 300 or less tags. If there and 40 or 50 other guyz like you in the same DMU, you guyz will have a big impact on the population. Overpopulation of deer is a big problem in some areas. We've pretty much wiped out or ran off most of the predator animals so it's our responsibility to keep things in check.

Bottom line... If your not plaining on using the tag, don't get it!
Old 09-24-2004, 05:06 AM

No problem with it here. I also hunt in PA and I always buy a doe tag. I know its a heafty out of state price of $26.00 dollars but that gives me the option of shooting a doe instead of 1 buck. Just think its $101.00 just for the license, then $26.00 for the archery stamp. $127.00 is an expensive for just 1 buck, might as well spend the extra cash so if you get the chance you could take a second deer that being a doe.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Same here crazystups .. non resident, fees-$153.. and own land and a camp in PA !!!! Yet I still have to pay non resident fees.
I would also bear hunt but I hate to pay another 30 bucks for the 1 day I could get out!

Also, I have never said that in no way am I going to shoot a doe. I just said I may not, it depends how the season goes. But if i were to hunt for a doe, it would be done in some manner to make it challenging, with bow, Flintlock, some thing other than rifle. In PA shooting a doe with a rifle is like getting a squirrel in the park. That is not meant to offend anyone, especially meat hunters. But you know opening day of rifle in PA when you see 80-100 deer getting a doe would be a no-brainer.

I also share the thought that many have shared, I always think that buck is just outta sight and as soon as I let one fly on a doe..old bigs gonna bolt!

Again I appreciate all your responses. Stay tuned for the next question -mid week.

We can agree to disagree as long as we stand together in the broad scope.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:05 AM

I think if you have absolutely no intention of shooting a doe then you should not get the tag. you can still go to camp and participate even if you arent hunting.

If you think you might shoot one then by all means get one, you have as much right to the tag as anyone else.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:57 AM

To each his own[8D]
Old 09-24-2004, 12:20 PM

After I read the 1st post, I'll just say the hurricane season is a "bit windy".