Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My controversial question of the week

Old 09-22-2004, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My controversial question of the week

My killing one doe is not significantly going to help the herd.
It will help more than taking one buck. The doe cannot have any more fawns once harvested and will help reduce future herd growth. The buck harvest only reduces the herd by one since other bucks will take on his share of breeding.

In Maryland, we have to shoot does before our second buck tag is open. I have no problem shooting does and I hold out for wall-hanger bucks like you. I have had more than one year pass without getting two bucks because smaller bucks were the only ones that passed by in range. I've already passed on a number of 6 points this year saving my tags for the big guys. I also have already harvested a doe getting me that much closer to have both tags free.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:29 AM

Well Badatta, I don't see a whole lot of controversy here only that if you’re buying the tag prevents someone else from getting that tag. I am not familiar with that. However I do have problems with a couple quotes
First one,
I am more of a wall-hanger hunter now than in years past. (It comes with age and success, if your not there yet, I hope you will be someday)
Now I am not saying this is wrong for your area or that you’re wrong for hunting this way, but if people here in Indiana would hunt this way very few would get a trophy buck, and the deer population would grow even larger then what it already is. Here in Vanderburgh County each hunter can kill up to 10 or 11 deer!!!! Only one of them can be a buck, and you have to use archery for 6 of them and muzzleloader or shotgun for the rest. Now as you propose you only take large bucks, that means does will continue to reproduce until there is a huge over population of deer.
My killing one doe is not significantly going to help the herd
Like you said if everyone felt this way there would most certainly be a problem.
So what’s wrong with an overpopulation of deer you ask........?
I live in an Urban deer zone which means there are way to many deer for the amount of woods/area in the county. That means more and more deer move into the city/neighborhoods to eat peoples gardens/landscaping. Also more deer are hit by cars. 3 deer were hit/killed in front of my house last year 2 were fawns[]. Also the deer eat tons and tons of corn/soybeans. Now farmers don't mind because they can file crop damage claims and get money handed to them for them having too many deer on their property.
Now again these are only a few problems with the deer population in my neck of the woods. As far as in PA, you might not have this problem. If you don't then disregard these comments and continue to buy tags and not use them. Like you said at least the money is going to the game commission.
I too have wasted tags, mainly because the deer didn't walk in front of me (do you blame them) or I didn't spend enough time in the woods. Not filling a tag doesn't bother me because I think there is an unlimited amount of tags for sale. So, I'm not taking away a deer that someone else wants.
I am a hunter that loves: to hunt; the meat; shoot my bow; the experience; and that big buck. My ideal season is a large doe and buck taken with a bow (considering that’s what I hunt with 99% of the time).
That’s my comment on this issue.
KK
Old 09-22-2004, 12:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Badatta2d

I am more of a wall-hanger hunter now than in years past. (It comes with age and success, if your not there yet, I hope you will be someday)
Others have already commented on this comment, but didn't voice what my opinion is, so here goes. I have no problem with "head hunting", I loosely group myself there as well (I haven't harvested a wall hanger yet, but I hunt for them). My problem, and it is minor, is that you hope that others that have not 'arrived there' yet, do some day. Why? Is trophy hunting a higher level of hunting than meat hunting? For you and me, maybe, but not necessarily everyone else. I know that there are several members on this board that have been very successful and are 'aged' that still take plenty of does. Some of our Maryland brethren are good examples.

I'm not bashing, just saying that it takes many types of hunters and hunting styles to make up this sport of ours. I definitely have my biases on what I like to do myself, but your way and my way does not necessarily fit everyone else's tastes. As long as they do it legally, fine. I had a small problem with the five stages of a hunter thread for that same reason. It sort of insinuated that if you don't fit into stage number five, you haven't 'arrived' yet. Some people can be content with being in the 'have to get my bag limit each year' category all their lives and not feel cheated at all. It's just what they enjoy and what keeps them hunting, and buying licenses and voting (hopefully).

Sorry, I was rambling. Just my two cents. BTW, I have no problem with your not using the tag. I find it impoosible to shoot does with fawns or yearlings, even though I know they could probably survive without her. As for your one doe not making a difference, that has been the argument for not voting for years. It has led to many poor candidates being in office.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:48 PM

That's pretty much the only problem I see with it. If there is a limited amount of doe tags issued, you are wasting a tag someone else might actually use. And that someone else might actually need the meat vrs killing one just for the sport of it.

Personally it doesn't really matter either way to me. I get doe tags every year for private property and have only taken one since I started hunitng 4 years ago. I also get a combo tag every year and normally only take one deer a year anyway. It's kind of a just incase thing. I hunt gun season as well, so if I take a buck during bow season, I still have a buck tag left for gun.

So am sort of doing the same thing.

If there is no limit on the doe tags, or there is a huge number of them I don't see the problem.

I think if you tag out early on the hunt though you should have to stay behind and do camp chores like cook and clean. Aren't you glad you don't hunt with me.

Good luck,

Paul
Old 09-22-2004, 02:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not much contraversy, you aren't breaking any laws. But can't you still go to camp and walk around the woods and hang out without taking a doe tag someone else may actually put to use. That is what they are issued for. I just don't see the sense in it. If you felt your area was underpopulated and were "protecting" one then fine, I just don't see your point.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Only problem I see is that if your state only issues a limited number of doe tags then why even bother if you really don't intend to shoot a doe. What you are doing is cheating another hunter that would like to shoot does out of an opportunity to do so. Also, you are not helping out the overall deer herd if you are not actively participating in QDM. I believe you stated in an earlier thread that you reaaly don't care for the taste of venision, but I challenge you to find a family, freind, neighbor or HFTH program or other donation program to donate your deer to.
Old 09-22-2004, 06:48 PM

I'm just like you,I feel behind every doe is a buck so I always let them walk.I started to by into the theory that less does = more bucks due to the increased compatability with bucks.And by letting the does walk I on the avarege shoot 3 bucks a season between NJ and NY,But I made up my mind to take one or two does this year and I will donate that meat to the organazations in my state.It's still easier said then done,Im so conditioned to only shoot bucks.Oct 2 will see what happenes.Good Luck Everyone
Old 09-22-2004, 07:13 PM
Spike

My view would be this. If your state has an overpopulation problem, as an ethical hunter, I would harvest my doe for managment reasons plus the meat is very good(much better than a buck). If your state's population is down and they are trying to increase the heard I would pass on all does. In our club we shoot alot of does(25 to 30 per year) and the bucks are getting more plentiful and bigger. We pass all small bucks.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great feedback. I appreciate it all
BY238 You took my comment of :

To be degrading, and i can see how it could read that way. In no way do i think i am better or have arrived at a higher level of hunting than anyone else. I encourage everyone to be proud of thier ability and successes be them large bucks, small bucks, doe, whatever. As long as it's a trophy to the guy/girl who harvested it, thats all that counts. What i actually meant by the quote was that as I grew as a hunter I have become less infatuated with the kill and enjoy the processes of hunting more than the finality of the kill. I have a son who will be hunting in the next year or so and I get to relive the growing process as he goes from his first hunt, first kill, first buck yadda yadda. I'm sure at first he will measure success and failure by whether or not he harvested anything. But I know he will grow to appreciate all the days afield.

Now for some of the other responces.
1) I think earn-a-buck leads to does being killed and a lot of the meat being discarded just to get a buck tag. This is not on a personal level against any individual. I think it's a system flaw. Don't beat me up on this, i am not accusing the moral majority but you know it happens.
2) I insure that all the meat is used by someone.
3) we do have limited tags in PA. In fact my own father did not recieve his because they were sold out.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

3) we do have limited tags in PA. In fact my own father did not recieve his because they were sold out.
Then IMO by purchasing a doe tag and not using it you are cheating other hunters out of the opportunity to harvest a doe if they wish, and that ain't right. I think that is almost as bad as a anti hunter going out and buying a tag just to keep a hunter from harvesting a deer. Something to think about.

Quick Reply: My controversial question of the week

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.