Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help with paper tuning

Old 09-22-2004, 09:46 AM

Default Help with paper tuning

Hello all,

I'm shoooting an old Browning Excallaber & have set it up this year with all new equipment(release, whisker biscuit, kissser, peep & loop). I have never shot with any of this stuff before.
It took awhile but I finally got it grouping well. That is until I shot broadheads. Man they were way off(even off the target!). The shop told me I had to paper tune. So I shot at their range until they closed and got my arrow tears from 2" high-left to about 3/4". I'm going to hit the range again today to see if I can get it any better. Any tips would be great!
Thanks in advance and good luck to all out there this season.

MB
Old 09-22-2004, 09:59 AM

Default RE: Help with paper tuning

If you haven't already printed off the tunning guide off the easton website that is where I'd start. Print it and take it with you.
http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloads/

From what you're telling me it could be a few things.
1) A high nocking point will give you a high tear.
2) A spine issue (if your field points group well and the broadheads don't this may be it) What shafts, shaft length, and lbs are you shooting (IMO this is the issue)
3) It may possibly be a clearence problem.

Give us a bit more to go on and we should be able to help.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alot of older bows are NOT setup right to be shot with a release or the type of rests that are supposed to be shot with releases..

The risers are not cut out enough and the true center is about 1/4" or so away from the riser..
The bows are made for flipper style and cushion plunger rests and to be shot with fingers...

This could be your problem. If so, I dont think you'll ever get a perfect HOLE in paper..

Just my opinion
Old 09-22-2004, 01:37 PM

Thanks guys, you both could be right.
I'm shooting 2117 aluminum, 31" @ 63#.
I'll work alittle more with but I just might have to go back to the glove & the rest of the old accessories, I'm running out of time!

MB
Old 09-22-2004, 02:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Going back to the glove and old accessories is exactly what you should do. This close to hunting season, you picked a helluva time to be trying to learn a whole new style of shooting! [:-]