Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How long should I wait?

Old 09-22-2004, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default How long should I wait?

Well I killed button buck in my honeyhole this past sunday. I thought is was a doe. I did not notice it was a buck until I started to fielddress it. The deer ran 20 yards and fell over and died. I shot it with a spitfire and it went in behind the shoulder and came out of the neck. I have never seen so much blood in my life. I looked at the blood trail for kicks and it looked like someone had a bucket of paint and poured it on the trail. The exit wound was the size of a half-doller coin. I am not joking.
My question is do you think I can go back in there saturday and hunt or should I wait?
Thanks
Old 09-22-2004, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How long should I wait?

i would hunt it, once when i was a lot younger we (my uncle and cousins) would draw for stands on opening day, as luck would have it i drew the best stand and killed a decent 8, sunday morning no one wanted to hunt this stand since i had killed the buck that was using this area,and since i had already broken the ice i decided i'd go back to the same stand, low and behold i killed a mounter, 8pt with a 19 1/2 spread and 10" g2's, well you can imagine the reaction this got when we all met back up.

good luck
Old 09-22-2004, 09:04 AM

Congrats on the kill!

I like to educate as few deer as possible. Was the BB alone? If he was with his mother and another yearling, I'd let it settle down for a week. If he was alone, he was the only one who saw you. Hunt it again. In my experience a blood trail and most of the time even a gut pile have no effect on the other deer. But I always wonder about the scent I leave when I drag a deer out. Is that alarming?

How many times did you hunt it before you connected? That may be the real factor. If you hunted it every day for a week, it may need a break. If it was the first night, maybe not.

Bottom line, your comings and goings are more disturbing than animal parts/scent left behind after a kill.

Greg
Old 09-22-2004, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can hunt there again soon, but I would give it a week or so DESPITE the following story.

A few years ago, a friend of mine shot a decent 6 point on his property on opening morning of gun season. A 19 year old guy asked him if he could hunt there that afternoon and he let him use the stand he had used that morning. Just before dark, the young man shot a monstrous 17 point that green scored over 207. I saw it and it was huge!

Unfortunately, the 19 year old violated several game laws and ruined what could've been one of MD's finest bucks.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is funny. My uncle and i had different work schedules, and we was hunting the same stand and area, he would hunt on saturday, and i would hunt it on sunday. Well i have seen deer there everytime and so did he, thats why we would hunt the same spot, he killed a 10pt and on sunday i killed a 9pt out of the same wooden stand! So go hunt it, and dont worry

Old 09-22-2004, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would think so as long as you were fairly quite and you and did not spend a lot of time hanging around the area? But just to be on the safe side i would most likely hunt a diffrent stand and give it a week to calm down a litttle.[&:]
Old 09-22-2004, 07:27 PM

Nice job on the kill,I have seen deer sniff gut piles and did'nt get alarmed,also seen more than one deer get killed out of the same stand in the same day,last year my friend shot a buck opening day with the rifel,15 min later another buck came down the same trail and he laid that one down 10 yards from the first.So i think you'll be fine.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

I would hunt it
Old 09-22-2004, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would hunt it