Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

COWMOOFLAGE UPDATE

Old 09-22-2004, 08:18 AM

Default COWMOOFLAGE UPDATE

First COWMOOFLAGE HUNT
Well , The first hunt for Elk in Colorado with the Cowmooflage did not produce any Elk. The Elk were coming in to the waterholes too late to get a legal shot. But we did test the Cow suit with other cows and had no problems.
Buster got dressed in the suit and did some testing to be sure he could shoot and walk and had no problems.
I got my photo blind set up and prepared for the wait.
There was a herd of Angus cattle about 200 yds down the valley from the water hole. and Buster waved to me and headed out for the cattle. ( I was not expecting him to do this!!!! )
At about 50yds from the herd two young bulls came out to inspect Buster, and they showed no agressive signs at all.
Buster returned to the waterhole . The Bulls followed Buster and stayed about 50yds behind him. When he got to the water hole, the bulls walked to the opposite side of the fence and took a drink , Buster was mooing at them and they were mooing back.
Later toward dusk, The rest of the herd came to the hole to drink and some of the big cows checked Buster out and decided to let their calves drink and basically the herd accepted him. The light level was to low for my still camera, but I do have some video of this that I will try to get some stills from.
Near Dusk Buster was calling and got several Bulls to answer from higher up in the canyon, He called and they kept answering and it started getting a little exciting.
Then all kind of barking started up behind me !!
I am new to Elk hunting and thought someones dog was out there messing around. DUH !! it was five cow ELK. They must have picked up our scent and spooked!!
That was the end of the first hunt.
We were going to try again on Sunday , but the weather got bad and I had to make flight connections in Denver Monday morning,so I left the suit with Buster. I have not been able to contact him since I got back so I do not know if He tried the suit again or not. Buster has taken 12 Elk from the ranch in the past 14 years and I will update on the COWMOOFLAGE saga as I get Information.

Old 09-22-2004, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: COWMOOFLAGE UPDATE

I was hoping you would give an update on the suit. That whole adventure has got to be the coolest thing I can remember. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Be careful of getting shot.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:39 AM

You've got big brass ones to try and pull this off. I'd be worried about a horney bull trying to have it's way with me. Thanks for keeping us updated. I was wondering how it had worked out