Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

first year bowhunting help!!!

Old 09-22-2004, 01:57 AM

Default first year bowhunting help!!!

ok this is my first year bow hunting and i scouted earlyier this year and found a good place to hunt were there are alot of acorns on the ground and there are trails all around comming in to were the acorns are i also have put a salt block and threw some apples out and poured out a product called whitetail addiction and i have walked in there in the mornings to hunt and i have scared out deer so i know they are comming to that location alot then plus there is a creek running right behind it so i guess my question is would it be better for me to hunt dirrectly over this site or should i hunt over one of the trails or what please help me understand what would be best for me to do any help whould be greatly appriciated thanks in advance for all responces.

thanks , white
Old 09-22-2004, 02:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: first year bowhunting help!!!

If your scaring deer out in the morning on your way in chances are there is a bedding area not too far. Study the trails to find the bedding areas and the staging areas. If your area is real close to the bedding area you may have to get there a couple hours before sunrise. If the bedding area is far enough away to allow you to set up between the bedding area and the feeding (acorns) area try setting up there and always keep the wind in your face when you enter the woods. Do you have options on which direction you enter the woods from? It sounds like it may be a good afternoon stand?
Keep the wind in your face!
Old 09-22-2004, 02:34 AM

im pretty sure that they are beding right were the acorns and all the other stuff that i put out are so what should i do?
Old 09-22-2004, 02:38 AM

oh yeah also do i need to keep the wind in my face when i am walking into the area were im gonna hunt or just when i climb the tree and am sitting in my stand? i just started hunting by myself so im sorry if these are kind of stupid questions.
Old 09-22-2004, 03:14 AM

Hello Whitehatch, welcome to the boards, i am new myself.
1) Follow these boards closely each day
2)Use scent control to keep deer from smelling you
3) Stay away from the area until you are ready to hunt it
4-1,000 ) Have Fun
Old 09-22-2004, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

im pretty sure that they are beding right were the acorns and all the other stuff that i put out are so what should i do?
Bedding areas are usually thickets that offer good concealment but are close to food/water sources and most of the time their thick enough to make a human scratch his/her head and wonder how the heck he/she will ever make it through there. Do you see beds in the area? Beds will look like egg shaped circles where the grass is matted down where they lay.
Take a walk in your area and find the trails and follow them slowly. If they lead to an area close by that looks like something you'd never want to try and walk thru , back out quietly because thats probably the bedding area and the area you found with the acorns is their staging area. Then you'd be better off hunting that area in the afternoon until dark but only go when the wind will blow your scent away from the bedding area (in your face is best) on your way in and where you sit. If there is alot of deer droppings all over you've found yourself a great staging area where I personally would only hunt in the afternoon when the wind is right. The mornings would work if you dont mind spending a couple hours in your stand before daylight.

i just started hunting by myself so im sorry if these are kind of stupid questions.
There's no such thing as a stupid question when it comes to deerhunting!
Some day I may learn something from you.

Good luck!
Old 09-22-2004, 05:50 AM
Fork Horn

I would hunt this spot in the afternoon only!
Old 09-22-2004, 07:49 AM

This sounds like a prime afternoon spot to me.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:31 PM

That's two for an afternoon call. Why please?
Old 09-22-2004, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

I think you would have a better chance in the afternoon

Quick Reply: first year bowhunting help!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.