Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Feathers?

Old 09-21-2004, 01:23 PM

Default RE: Feathers?

Feathers disrupt more air, causing faster, and better stabilization. Feathers are also lighter, causing better speed out to about 40 yards. At 40 yards, vanes and feathers run a dead heat, but after 60 yards, feathers slow down alot faster, because of the air disruption. Yes, feathers whistle a little in the air, but that is not, I don't feel, why the deer are jumping your string. They hear the bow, and are reacting to that. The waterproofing powder works extrememly well, and if you keep your feathers from being ruffled, ( ) will be more quiet. I just switched to feathers this year for my hunting set up, and will stay with them.

It just depends, I think, on what kind of broadhead you will be using, and whether or not vanes will do a sufficient job of stabilizing them.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:49 PM
Typical Buck

I take everything I said back, I finally got a deer earlier this year with a feathered arrow. On top of that, the feathers were wet and they performed to perfection. 20 yards shot complete pass through. Thanks for all your posts that convinced me to stick with the feathers, the monkey is finally off my back.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:58 PM

Congrats. I switched to feathers last year. I think they offer better arrow flight but in my opinion, they look better to me. I shoot 3 white barred feathers and they are highly visible and awesome to look at.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:03 AM
Typical Buck

This is what I am shooting next year
Old 10-27-2004, 06:50 AM

I shot vanes during my 1st year hunting. I switched to feathers last season and I'm sold on them. I have practiced with feathers comming out in chunks, wet, hardly on. (by hardly on I mean it's no longer a 4 inch but a 1 inch ) just to see how they react. I have noticed only one difference in all of them. When wet feathers don't look as prety flying through the air. Otherwise they shot great no matter what condition. I have shot vanes that were slightly wrinkled and it sounds like a baseball card in a bicycles spokes. Also if you ruffle up feathers you can stroke them back to form. Once vanes are wrinkled thats it you have to replace them.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:08 PM

I've killed deer with both veins and feathers, I cant imagine a deer jumping the string due to hearing the arrow, I tend to think the deer must have been watching you as you shot for so many occurances.