Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

need some tips for noon hunter

Old 09-20-2004, 04:27 PM

Default need some tips for noon hunter

Hello all. I am some what new to bow hunting and need some tips from you all. I can only hunt from 9 am to 2 pm when my kids are in school. What I would like to know is do deer move during this time period? All the deer that I have got in the gun deer season have been at around noon but I hunt public land and there are I lot of people moving the deer. Is there anything I should be doing to bring the deer to me? Or should I just be still and wait for one to come to me? Thanks
Old 09-20-2004, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: need some tips for noon hunter

Wow only 5hrs to hunt eh?>? Well thats tuff!! But not impossible, i have read that during 10-2 is when the big bucks move. I would use some scents like buck poppers to attract them and bring them in your area for faster response. If you hunt public land, then i hope you did your scouting in the pre-season.......if not you might just be sitting in a tree with no action. Hunt food source and know the wind direction and the proper way to enter to your stand. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:36 PM

Hunt the rut!!! They will move all day during the rut. Other than that deer do get up and move during the day but usually not very far. In that case I would try to find places where I could hunt as close to possible to bedding grounds. So when they do get up and move you will have a chance.

Above all plan to hunt the rut when they will be moving all day.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

pretty much do what these 2 said. i would also bring some food with ya. deer move about every 4 hours to eat so you should have no problem seeing deer if the area isn't over hunted.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:03 PM

Nine till two....primetime to me,especially the 9-10am part. I've heard many people say that they have had good luck around noon but in my 30 yrs of hunting I just haven't seen it. Looking back,most of mine have been killed in the morning. I quite often set up close to bedding areas or funnels, pay close attention to the wind,and just hunt hard. Good Luck!
Old 09-20-2004, 07:14 PM

If it's warm I'd say forget it unless it's during the rut when they'll be moving all day. I've also had good luck around noon during the late season muzzleloader season in January. Seems like the deer like to feed a little during that time.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:14 AM
Typical Buck

That's the time when other hunters are coming down for lunch. I got a shot at a six last year around noon and took a ten the same time on a different day. Especially during the rut, I don't think it'll be a problem.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:42 AM

In the morning I like the 9:00am time slot best. The earlier you can get to the woods the better. Personally I don't have a ot of mid day lick except for the rut. Deer will be on the move all the time durring the rut. Come the first of October you may want to try some grunting and light rattleing. Durrning the first couple weeks of Oct. the deer are most likely to respond to these tactics. The most important thing is to get out there though. If you've scouted and done your homework you should have a couple of good places to set up and hunt. The more time you can spend on stand the better the odds of getting a shot.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:54 AM
Typical Buck

Here's food for thought......something I just remembered from October bowhunting shows and articles.

It's no secret that October whitetails tend to be more nocturnal and this causes the so called October lull that many bowhunters complain about. But, because deer are bedding in the early morning, they also tend to rise, stretch, and feed a little bit around noon in or very near to their bedding area each day. If you can find that bedding area, get close to it quietly, then wait for that noon feeding, you may end up seeing a few of those stretching deer.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunt when you can. It's always smart to ask for advice, but it's also smart to get out there and learn for yourself. Put more faith in what you see and learn, than what "they" say about what deer should or should not do.

I wouldn't be too bummed. The deer are always there, go find their sign and develop a strategy. Adapt as need be. Stick with it.

Quick Reply: need some tips for noon hunter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.