Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How to avoid losing arrows ??

Old 09-20-2004, 11:30 AM

Default How to avoid losing arrows ??

Hi ya'll, if anyone has some tips for me on this I would appreciate it so much.

Every time I practice shooting my bow, it seems I lose an arrow or almost lose one. It's driving me crazy. It would be bad enough if I used cheap arrows but I'm using nice carbon Eastons and this is just getting expensive. And it would be understandable if I shot into the woods or something, but every time, I am only shooting at short grass. I shoot from an elevated position, so my arrows do not travel far. They're aimed slightly towards the ground. But it doesn't matter if I see where the arrow hits, or if the grass is super short, or what. 9 out of 10 times I cannot find my arrow ANYWHERE and it either takes 30 minutes of searching to finally find it buried under the grass, or if I'm unlucky, it's just gone forever. How do you avoid this?? I just can't afford to lose any more arrows right now so it's got me afraid to practice. I need to be able to try new things and not be afraid of missing the target !

Amy
Old 09-20-2004, 11:42 AM

Default RE: How to avoid losing arrows ??

The best thing to do would be to step in to a closer yardage like 10 yrds. and get comfortable with your form. Then as you move back to longer distances, you will have more confidence to hit the target. Good luck.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:52 AM

Yeah, get closer at first. Also, it might help if you shot from the ground at first until you get comfortable with your form and then climb the tree.

White fletching is highly visible as well and you can even get lighted nocks from cabella's. Either of those would help make arrows more visible.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:56 AM

I agree with Mo_Bowhnter.

Either you need a larger target or you should get closer to the target. I on occasion loose an arrow(knock on wood) it's been a while but the surefire way is to keep them on target. If you've lost a couple and you know about where they are I suggest getting a butter knife If you were shooting in a North to south direction get about where you expect the arrows to be. Insrt the knife into the grass and cut in a east to west pattern. If you hit something don't cut harder! Investigate.

It can be time consuming but it should pay off, Espically if there are a few arrows in the area.

Good Luck
Old 09-20-2004, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

I suggest getting all your fletches white. And put some white cresting on them. It makes finding them easy. And it did not seem to bother the deer I killed this weekend.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:03 PM

a metal detector would help to locate the arrows (well actually the points to be more specific)
Old 09-20-2004, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

hit what your aiming at
Old 09-20-2004, 12:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

You should still have an idea of where the miss was, high, low,left, right etc. Take a knife and score the grass in 36" swaths every 25 inches or so. You'll find the arrow in no time.

top view I's represent cuts in grass

{} I I I -I-> arrow found

You target (missed high Example)

I drew this real nice in excel but couldn't post it Argh!!

Another option would be to use those grass catching judo type points until you can hit target everytime.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:13 PM

The arrows funnel under the grass for quite a ways. I have used another arrow without a tip on it to run against the grain and you can cover alot of area quickly. just keep working back from your target or the spot you think it is in.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:19 PM

Thanks for you help, everyone. I don't miss that often (I'm not THAT bad) but when I do it's just so hard to find the arrow. I'm shooting at a small 3D deer target and I'm good at 10-20 yards with it, but it was when I moved it to 30 yards that this happened. My arrows are very visible, neon yellow nocks and yellow and white fletching. If only they'd stick out of the ground a little, it would be a snap to find them but I think in this case the arrow has probably buried itself. Wouldn't suprise me since it's rained alot and the ground is quite soft. The knife idea sounds great so I will try that.

Thanks !

Amy

Quick Reply: How to avoid losing arrows ??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.