Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Summit Viper Comments and experience

Old 09-20-2004, 09:42 AM

Default Summit Viper Comments and experience

I took my Viper tree stand out this weekend, which I just bought last week, and I had a bit of a bad experience with it that was totally my fault. No one or anything got hurt, thankfully, except my pride.

After reading and commenting and asking a lot of questions on this board about the Viper vs. the Cobra tree stands, specifically about the bar in front of the Viper and would it interfere with a shot, I decided to get the Viper, primarily because of the trouble some were having with the Cobra’s bar lining up with the stops. I didn’t want to go through the aggravation of contacting Summit and waiting for the replacement bar to show up, even though I knew I would probably prefer having no bar in front of me.

Well, this weekend I went out and saw a buck that was uncommon for the bucks in my area because of the immense mass he had to his antlers. I have seen taller tines and wider spreads, but nothing that ever compared to the immense mass that this guy had. I got buck fever and instead of concentrating on the draw and which opening would be best, and that I should watch out for the bar, etc. etc. I was envisioning this guy’s head on the wall. Well, I drew too fast when his eye passed behind a small tree and did not think about the bar, so I was leaned back a bit too far in the seat (I was afraid to stand up for fear of spooking him) and my string hit the bar, knocking it off of my release (I use Scott’s Rhino, so it’s open on one side) and my arrow went sailing harmlessly through the trees, 30 feet above him and to the rear. He bounded off, taking my dreams with him. Hopefully he didn’t spook too badly and may walk through there again.

I should have stood up, I know, especially since I was watching other bucks in the area for the last half hour. Hind sight is great and lessons are learned. I did have the seat adjusted pretty high, and if I had leaned forward just a little bit more, I would have cleared. Are these things that you should have to worry about, though, in the heat of the moment? I'm not sure yet. I did shoot 30+ arrows out of it prior to going out, but that wasn't under the stress of buck fever.

On the positive side, the comfort of the Summit stands is extraordinary, helping me to cut my movement down drastically. Maybe it was so comfortable that I didn’t want to stand up. I also like the bar being there because I can lay my bow across it and not have it resting on my legs the whole time. I am undecided today about keeping the Viper or trying to go with a Cobra. My friend wants the Viper because he uses a crossbow due to an injury to his elbow that prevents him from drawing a bow, and he wants the bar for support. I mentioned to him to buy the Cobra and we’ll swap, but I don’t know if he could get his fat a$$ in the Viper and I’m afraid he may need the Goliath instead.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:44 AM

Default RE: Summit Viper Comments and experience

Just make sure to stand up for all shots. That's what I do. I like the bar because you can sit on it for a spell and check out the scenery behind the tree. It breaks up the monotony of just sitting forward. Plus, I like the sense of security the bar gives me. For me the positives outweigh the negative of having to stand up for shots. I did that all the time anyway.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:56 AM

Yep, don't forget to stand up with that one. That's what I do.

ONe more thing to keep in mind. That bar makes it easier for climbing also. You can sit on it. Can't with the cobra.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

everyone has there own opinion of stands, what might work for me wont for you, what i might like you might not...
i always stand up to shoot in my viper, there is just to many things to go wrong if you dont, but whats nice about the bar is that you can just touch your legs up to it and you have all the freedom in the world to shoot when standing... i know some say they still shoot will setting in the viper but i dont, it just wasnt designed to shoot sitting down with a bow....
good luck in you descision on the cobra... its all about what will work best for you...
i hope you see the big one again and get another crack at it....
Old 09-20-2004, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys. I think I will keep the Viper. I always stood up in my loggy, which was open front, so I do not know why I tried to stay seated in the Viper, except for fear of spooking the buck, but that never stopped me in the loggy. Who knows?! I'll keep it and learn from it and try not to make the same mistake twice.

i hope you see the big one again and get another crack at it....
Thanks, Wilk. He's the guy I'm hunting for now. I just can't get that mass out of my head, or his body size. We have big bodied deer here in Nebraska, but this guy was BIG!!!
Old 09-20-2004, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot deer sitting down outta the viper. you just have to make sure that the bottom platform is high enough to where is brings your knees up a little and adjust your seat and you can shoot effectively while sitting. good luck

Old 09-20-2004, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, one of the reasons I got rid of mine. I personally like to shoot out of stand sitting down most of the time. Can't remember too many shots while standing. I just did not like the enclosed feeling I had while in the Viper. I since then bought a new Loggy Bayou and am back to where I used to be. Wide Open all sides and can easily shoot in a seated position all around my tree except to my extreme right.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

Why not just order the Cobra top and then have the best of both?
Old 09-21-2004, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love the secure feeling of the rail. You do have to learn to shoot around it and that's one reason I always suggest you practice from your tree stands prior to season. That way those things don't happen, or at least don't happen often
Old 09-21-2004, 05:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sorry to hear about what happened. I am sure many of us can relate. I, for example, had a hang-on stand that I had practiced out of regularly prior to the season. Well, the first day I had a nice 8 pointer walk by to my right and I was forced to twist to make the shot. About half way around my foot hit the support cable and make quite a loud noise. The buck bounded off and I never saw him again.

I could just kick myself for that one.[:@] I always try to prepare for the unexpected but in some cases you just can't.

I have both a Viper and a Cobra now. I am planning on using the Cobra primarily for archery season and probably the Viper for rifle but I am also sure that if I needed to I could also go with the Viper and satisfactorily shoot out of it.

I guess my point is that you made the choice that you did initially for a reason. Did that reason change because of this latest experience? If not then I would just keep using the Viper.