Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

SIGHT LIGHTS

Old 09-20-2004, 12:27 PM

Default RE: SIGHT LIGHTS

I also have to agree with Rob. I have a Vital bow gear site (trapper) and when it's too dark to see my pins it's too dark to shoot. IMO bowhunting is the safeist type of huting but letting an arrow go in dusky conditions is opening the door for an accident. I'm willing to bet that this is when 99% of shooting accident occure.

Also I believe this would be against fair chase as posted by Pope & Young.
7)By the use of electronic devices for attracting, locating, or pursuing game or guiding the hunter to such game, or by the use of a bow or arrow to which any electronic device is attached.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:27 PM
Dominant Buck

I guess I won't be in Pope & Young anytime too soon. I won't give up my Red Dot Scope. Thats OK. The only record I want is the State Record.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had two sights with lights on them. never needed them, just like the idea. Any archery shop will give you a sight if they get a little publicity out of a P&Y beeing at their store. Then it would be legal??!!!??!!!just kiddin
Old 09-22-2004, 05:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have tended to find the same scenario as what Rob mentioned. When it is so dark that I need to use the light then I tend not to be able to see the animal "behind" the sight pin....regardless of light intensity setting.

On a few occasions though, like in a hunting blind or deep thicket, I have found myself in an area dark enough to warrant a pin light while still being able to see the animal fully "illuminated" behind it.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:12 AM

Does anybody remember that deer are colorblind? They won't see a blue or purple light on your bow 16+ feet up in a tree.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

On a few occasions though, like in a hunting blind or deep thicket, I have found myself in an area dark enough to warrant a pin light while still being able to see the animal fully "illuminated" behind it.
This is the exact reason why I have a sight light. Two of my ground spots are in deep thickets that make it hard to see even at noon. I didn't have a problem with my HHA sight but since switching to the Spot Hogg I felt it was best to add the light.