Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question about the level on my Copper Johns sight..

Old 09-19-2004, 08:54 PM

Default Question about the level on my Copper Johns sight..

I have a Copper Johns 5 pin sight with the Level on bottom. I am new to shooting, and have been doing good. When I first started I would get the bubble level and was shooting right so I moved the sights. Had it fixed and was shooting dead center from 10-50 yrds. Well this weekend I finally got my tripod up and did some practice from it. Well If I held my level bubble center I shot left about 3 inches. Every time up and down was good just left. So I told my buddy I am just gonna shoot with the pin and not look at the level just use what feels right. I hit dead center grouped about 2.5 inches at 30 yrds.

Why is this like I say I am new to this. My theory is that the level is level with the earth where I was on a tripod stand not exactly level so when I was putting the bubble level it was level to the earth, but not the tripod and where I was shooting from?? Or are my sights just off??

Thanks
Tanner
Old 09-20-2004, 05:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question about the level on my Copper Johns sight..

This sounds like a 3rd axis problem to me. I thought I knew what I was talking about until I began researching a response on this thread. I found that high poundage bows must have their 3rd axis set at full draw to compensate for riser torque. I fall into this catagory so if anyone has some good articles on how to set up the Copper John (I think there's one on using a plumb bob, but I can;t find it) please post it here.

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2004, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with mrfritz44. I had a similar problem with my Spot Hogg sight until I set the 3rd axis properly. This is taken from their website.

3rd axis leveling
3rd axis leveling is the squaring of your level, so that the bow will be held in the same vertical plane for flat, uphill, or downhill shots. If your 3rd axis is not properly set, your level will lie to you, causing you to cant your bow when shooting up or downhill. Resulting in left and right arrows, no matter how good you executed your shot.
Leveling your 3rd axis must be done at FULL DRAW. Bow vises and bench jigs are not accurate because they don't take into account the torque in the bows riser when it is drawn. A sight that is squared at rest will not be square at full draw, when aimed up or downhill due to the torque in the riser.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's another reference to the Spot Hogg website. This link is their recommended procedure for setting 3rd axis. http://www.spot-hogg.com/3rd_axis_adj_.htm
Old 09-20-2004, 08:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

One thing you have to remember about the level when shooting out of a treesstand. The level changes planes/level to the earth from your bow being vertical to almost a horizontal .....do this little experiment....on level ground, hold your bow out at full draw.......level....now keep it as level as you can while bending at the waist and leaning like you would out of a treestand....you'll notice the level will swing swiftly to one side or the other.....because it is now changed to a different plane to the earth...same thing will happen as you raise the bow over your head.

Levels are great when shooting on non level side hills and when standing on the ground at 3D tournaments with uneven ground. You'll have a tendancy to lean your bow away from a the grade of a hill but when shooting up or down, the level can fool you, especially at steep up and down shots. I find levels to be a great aid but not out of a treestand unless your shooting semilevel.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

I did some more research on this topic and found this article with respect to uphill/downhill/treestand shots:

http://www.bowhunting.net/SteveJohnson/Article001.html

Thanks for the Spot-Hog link......that's the one I was referring to in my earlier post.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

ok....there is plenty of information on the benifits of 3rd axis but how is it done. Once you are at full draw what do you do and how do you do it?
Old 09-20-2004, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

Per the Spot-Hogg instruction, you kneel down at full draw and line up the imaginary vertical line that your pins form with the plumb-bob string. Then, without moving, check the sight's level. If the bubble isn't centered, adjust the 3rd axis so that the bubble moves in between the two lines on the level. Very small adjustments move the bubble alot, so take your time. Once you can keep the imaginary pin line on the plumb-bob string line and have the bubble centered on level, you should be good to go.

I plan on checking mine tonight and borrowing the neighbor's deck to shoot from and check.

Good luck,

Fritz