Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you find your arrows

Old 09-19-2004, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default How do you find your arrows

I am sitting in a ground blind. I shot and missed(of course). How do I find the lost arrow? I even tried a medal detector, (scanned 2 full acres)no luck. I guess the arrow isn't where I thought it was.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 09-19-2004, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do you find your arrows

Get over it and buy another arrow.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

sometimes they are closer than what you think
Old 09-19-2004, 07:11 PM

I would probably look for it using my eyes.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

Trying to find a misguided arrow shot from ground level can be a real chore. Since you've already tried a metal detector, that arrow may be a lost cause. What was the terrain like? Did you hear it strike anything on its way? I've seen long range practice arrows (launched from 80 yards) skip and stick in brush many yards back and above wasit level. You could try a yard rake, but it's kinda hard to say where it went not knowing the shot circumstances.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:26 PM

Sometimes they end up in that underground cavern where all the deer hide! I look for awhile and then I give up. I don't have the patience to look for very long. Was it aluminum? If so, it's probably trash after hitting the ground like that anyway.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Mine are usually bloody and sometimes broken in half after the shot.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:00 PM

I look for a dead deer and it's usually sticking out of it's side>Sorry, just joking. My bother finds mine with his lawn mower>not a joke. I have overshot my 3d target a few times and searched for the arrow for hours(literally). I have discovered that arrows shot at ground level particularly, can dive under the ground to as deep as four to five inches and be a pain to find and or recover. Not to sure that a metal detector will work well for aluminum. Also just burying under matted grass makes them extremely difficult to find. It makes missing those long shots all the more disappointing when it costs another arrow.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

with bright frothy blood, i hope
Old 09-19-2004, 11:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Metal detectors will work to find aluminum arrows to an extent. The detector should pick up the whole aluminum shaft and you should be able to draw a line right over where the arrows is, dig a bit, and get it.

If they are not bent beyond repair you can find them and reuse them.

I would suggest putting some kinda backdrop behind your shooting target (I assume that's what you were doing.)

A plywood board (if using carbons)...dirt mound...styrofoam block...something to stop your arrows, otherwise they are much harder to find.

Quick Reply: How do you find your arrows

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.