Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Can't decide on how to hunt.

Old 09-17-2004, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default Can't decide on how to hunt.

Well it has been hot in ky for the first few weeks of the season. Well in the morning we are suppose to have a low of 54 degrees. I have hunted my honeyhole funnell two times and no deer seen yet out of my stand. I have thought about hunting the ground and giving stalking a try. Any suggestions?
Thanks
I have never stalked yet. Any tips.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Can't decide on how to hunt.

As I just posted above , I stalked for years and came close. But sucess only came when hunting from a treestand. Find a well used trail and one will walk by, just play the wind and sit still.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:28 PM

If its hot, then you might want to find a water source and hunt near that. that is what I am going to try this weekend, it is suppose to be in the 80's here
Old 09-17-2004, 08:46 PM
Typical Buck

Hot weather will dull deer movement around here until after dark. That is not to say deer are not moving, just not as many. I would go ahead and give your stand a rest, and go for a stalk. With that temperature drop the deer might be moving well. I would set up near a well traveled path and move slowly through the timber about 30 minutes after daybreak. Take a step or two, stop, listen, look around slowly. Watch what the squirrels and birds are doing, they will give you clues on how you're doing and what other animals may be doing. Keep objects between you and the deer when you have one in sight and are moving in. Make sure the wind is right and proceed slowly. Alot of instincts and trial and error go into this technique. Good luck!!
Old 09-17-2004, 10:03 PM

Woodline is right slow and quiet. A couple steps and look around you will be suprised what all of the sudden is there that wasnt the three steps ago. Just did that a couple of days ago on a decent buck, didnt get a shot off though. If you are being quiet enough sometimes you can here your own heartbeat, kind of a thump thump. Kinda of silly but seems to work.

Now I have gotten all of my bow kill deer by stalking. Some I have seen first, some it was a tie and some have came in all of the sudden right in front of me and said shoot me please. lol. I will walk around slowly and take little breaks here and there and sit next to a tree or just stand up and often enough deer will just walk in to say hi.

Just my two cents