Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting scenario

Old 09-17-2004, 01:54 PM

Default Hunting scenario

I am a beginner to bow hunting. Each time that I have been out, I have been seeing deer in the open sage brush or crp, but I have not seen any while sitting in my chosen spots. I marked where I spoted deer on my walk out yesterday, but it was too dark to shoot anyway.

I would like to get a few opinions on where experianced hunters would setup given the following diagram. The groups of trees present are oak, aspen, elderberry, etc. The spot diagramed is about halfway up a fairly large-steep mountain.

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-17-2004, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunting scenario

Nice diagram, but without knowing the actual terrain and food availbale it's tough to give much advice.

Where are they bedding during day and feeding at night? Set up on the travel route(s), from bedding to feeding on evening hunts.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:09 PM

It's tough to tell from your digram. Can you get a aerial photo from terraserver and post it

http://www.terraserver.com/search/search.asp

Judging by the "mountain top" and where the deer are I would look for a saddle of funnel around that area. Your diagram is good but dosn't show the whole picture. A topo of the area would also help greatly.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:32 PM

here is an areal of the spot. The red box is the diagram. I will get the post the topo next.

Old 09-17-2004, 02:39 PM

here is the topo.

Thanks

Old 09-17-2004, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

That is one crazy looking arial. I guess thats from me hunting flat ground. I would probally set somewhere by that circle where the deer are being seen. Just an idea, but sounds like a good place to start.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:00 PM

Thanks OH Bowhunter.

The problem with where the circle is, is that it is wide open sage brush and there are tons of trails all over, so, it seems like the chance of the deer passing within range seems slim to me.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

I allways try to find a creek crossing. I see there is one thruogh your area. Is it a large creek with only a few crossings? It is possible that that thick sage brush is their bedding area. Have you seen beds there? If so I probally would not cut through there anymore. Seems like the creek would be downwind from that area. Which way can you enter from? I would hope it could be from the creek direction.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:57 PM

The creek is pretty small, probley 3-4 feet across? There seem to be beds all over the place, but most of them are in the grassy-treed areas. There are also quite a few springs in the area that I have stumbled accross.

I have hunted the creek bottom by a crossing, but did not see any deer while I was there?

I was thinking that I wanted to set up in that group of trees below where I saw the deer?
Old 09-17-2004, 04:03 PM

well, I'm off to try it again. I'll let you know how it turns out.