Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A legal ?

Old 09-16-2004, 12:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default A legal ?

This year one of the spots I'am hunting is right next to some land that I've heard the land owner doesn't let you retrieve your deer if it dies on his land. There is a really good chance that if I stick a deer it will run onto this land.

The Minnesota law book says "A person on foot may, without permission. enter land that is not posted to retrieve a wounded animal that was lawfully shot, but may not remain on the land after being told to leave." But this land is posted.

I just want a heads up in case this happens.

Thanks for any help,
Old 09-16-2004, 01:01 PM

Default RE: A legal ?

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/reg...g/trespass.pdf

As I read the laws you'd be out of luck. If you can set up a bit farther from the property line. Otherwise you might want to call a co to see if they can assist on the recovery.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

If a tree falls and there is no one in the forest does it make a sound? if you speed and no cop is around was it illegal?

I say if you shoot a deer and it goes into someones yard... if you can see it form the boundry you should be able to drag it back. if they are not around then dont worry about it. if the guy is around ask him politly... he may just let you retrieve it...

i woudl just go for it if i were you. do it at night if you can wait that long... make yourself a guille suit and crawl into the property and drag that bugger out!
Old 09-16-2004, 01:25 PM

Tough one Bird Hunt Dog::I hunt strictly from my apartment and no land ownership, so i can feel for you.
I also respect the property owners rights, so we have a classic Catch 22.
I believe we need ingenuity here, like entering the property with a white flag or a bottle of whiskey to break the ice. Not sure of the owners disposition, but hey,it works both ways= he needs his neighbors too.
Well i'm gonna punt here and let others hopefully answer and i stay posted on the others
Old 09-16-2004, 01:29 PM

like entering the property with a white flag or a bottle of whiskey
I like your thinking. You could be my neighbor anyday
Old 09-16-2004, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

This actually happened to me many years ago. I was told I could not go and get the deer. I was so PI$$ED I called a friend of mine who was a deputy. I asked him to come with me so I could get it. He informed me that he could come with me but if I stepped on the property he would have to arrest me. I guess as landowner you do not have to allow anyone on your property to retrieve game if you don't want to. Still bugs me to this day. I know that deer was dead but I couldn't go get it.[:@]
Old 09-16-2004, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just get it.

Or if you don't think you can do that without getting caught, call the CO. Don't ask him first. Once the CO gets there, you can't be refused.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

I remember a quote someone once put on these threads...

What's legal isn't necessarily ethical and what's illegal isn't necessarily unethical.

Doing everything you possible can to retrieve a wounded or downed deer is your number one priority after shooting.......that being said, you do the right thing...for the animal.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO if the regs say that it's illegal for you to go onto another persons property without permission and you know that the guy will not give you that NEEDED permission that you need to do everything to make sure that the deer doesn't go onto that mans property. All of this crap about seeking onto or just going in anyway and getting your deer may get you alot more trouble than it's worth.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:19 PM

Just ask the landowner.... if this situation arises can I recover my animal? If you go on this guys land without asking and he finds out you may have burned a bridge for no reason. I don't know to many people that would not allow you to retrieve a downed animal, but I know a bunch of landowners that hate trespassers.

Quick Reply: A legal ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.