Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Not trying to stir controversy ..but..

Old 09-16-2004, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Not trying to stir controversy ..but..

Reading the "who practices" thread about if it's brown it's down theory. I want to pose a question. Does anybody not really care for venison? Because me and my family really don't. That does not mean I don't practice proper game care, and the meat does NOT go to waste. I will give it to friends who like it, and have even given meat to the Feed the Hungry programs.
I also donate it to my Golf league for Field days, them guys love it! I've tried the soak it in milk procedure and it's better but not great. We will eat the burger and love to have hot links made but roasts, steaks..blah to gamey.
I imagine if I did my own butchering it would be better. But honestly I've never done that. Don't have the knowledge or the tools to do it.
I was surprised at the amount of "meat Hunters" in that thread. Thats great, but give me good old beef over vension.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:38 AM

Default RE: Not trying to stir controversy ..but..

My wife doesn't like venison when it's "gamey" either (neither do I really), and I've found that if you trim ALL the fat (not that there's a lot, but even a little can make it gamey) and remove the bones - it makes a big difference.

I remember reading that the word "venison" actually means any game meat .... I can't remember where though .... maybe Ted Nugent's "God, guns and rock-n-roll" ....

According to Webster's (online version):

Main Entry: ven·i·son
Pronunciation: 've-n&-s&n also -z&n, British usually 'ven-z&n
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural venisons also venison
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French veneison hunting, game, from Latin venation-, venatio, from venari to hunt, pursue; akin to Sanskrit vanoti he strives for -- more at WIN
: the edible flesh of a game animal and especially a deer
Old 09-16-2004, 10:40 AM

I love venison! I actually get a bit bummed when I eat the last steak in my freezer.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Same here adams!!
Old 09-16-2004, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why kill it if your not going to grill it!?? You can say i do this i do that but what do u do when you cant give anymore away? If u kill it you should eat it! [:@]
Old 09-16-2004, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Give me venison over cow/pig anyday!!! Course if I ate venison as much as the other two I may feel difrently.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Turkey, I knew someone would take that point of view, and you are entitled to your opinion. That being said, I disagree with your you kill it ya gotta eat it theory. Did you eat the last spider you stepped on or that mosquito that bit you while on your deer stand? Did you eat that last Groundhog you shot? I follow all game laws and there is always someone who will take the meat.
I also am an avid crow hunter and we leave hundreds for the coyotes and fox each year.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot em, I eat em, but I shoot many more than I can eat. I give the rest away. Places I hunt are badly in need of herd thinning. I have friends who LOVE deer meat, but just can't hunt themselves for one reason or another. There is no harm in providing them with some table fare that they enjoy.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have gone down this road before....
No, I don't care for venison. Does not mean I don't enjoy it now and again but, I get beef from a farmer friend, by the side, local grown. Venison does not even compare. I just had t-bones last night on the grill and that WAS heaven. I don't hunt for the meat. I am at the point that I only shoot mountable bucks, everything else walks. When I do get one I use the prime cuts and make jerky out of everything else. My wife and kids don't like it either. If I had someone near that wanted the whole deer and would come get it whole I would shoot a doe or two.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:23 AM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I shoot em, I eat em, but I shoot many more than I can eat. I give the rest away. Places I hunt are badly in need of herd thinning. I have friends who LOVE deer meat, but just can't hunt themselves for one reason or another. There is no harm in providing them with some table fare that they enjoy.
Yep. Not enough hunters here in KY to keep the herd in check. We need to kill more does than we eat and donate them to the hunger programs. It's the right thing to do.

Quick Reply: Not trying to stir controversy ..but..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.