Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

PA natives, Question..

Old 09-16-2004, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default PA natives, Question..

Hey guys, I am from Ohio we have a Camp in Clarion.
My dilemma is: I only have a few vacation days left for bowhunting.
Should I:
A) Hunt near opening day when deer are more relaxed in normal patterns?
B) Hold out till middle of November to get them rut crazed bucks moving?
C) Screw it, stay home, your from Ohio, we don't want you shootin all our trophy deer again this year.

Love them antler restrictions..best thing thats been done in some time. Now if us Pa Landowners could just get a break on license fees!!!! things would be great!!!!
Old 09-16-2004, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA natives, Question..

If I only had a few days I'd hold out till Nov.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

D) Let me hunt your land and keep track of the deer while you are gone. Then when you decide to take your days, I'll point you in the right spot

Seriously though I would wait till the rutting activity kicked up. I've never had good luck in the early season except for does and small bucks. Gotta wait till the big boys get woman crazy and slip up.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want a bigger buck I think you should wait until November. If you just want to fill your tag on anything legal then hunt the opener. Can you hunt on Saturdays? Where in Clarion is your camp. I was born and raised in Lucinda, about 10 miles North of Clarion.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:43 AM

I agree with the other guys. Nov. around the time of the rut is the way to go if you need to make a choose. I have hunted PA all of my life, I was born and raised just south of Harrisburg. My camp has always had great succes in mid to late Nov.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

No doubt you can get lucky opening week when deer are relaxed but I'd hold out to the second week of November as well...that's when my vacation is.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Actually Jason, We are in Lucinda. I'm sure you're familiar with "The Dew Drop Inn" perhaps depending on your age you may remember it as Huddies. We are a stones throw from there on Madden Drive.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

"Dew Drop Inn": Remember when that place burned? Yea, like that was an "accident". An insurance "accident".
Old 09-16-2004, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys, I am from Ohio we have a Camp in Clarion.
Stay home you "Flatlander"

Seriously, hunt the rut, its the best choice. Hunting early season you could very well see no deer at all. early season is slow, especially if it is the least bit warm.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

I would wait til the rut kicks in. My most memorable hunts were late october in North East PA. I have hunted early season right on through to the end of the season putting in many hours in the woods. The most activity and the real big bucks were never seen until close to the end of October. Good luck!

Quick Reply: PA natives, Question..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.