Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Saw somethig pretty crazy today after getting in some practice...

Old 09-15-2004, 08:05 PM

Default Saw somethig pretty crazy today after getting in some practice...

Went out to our place today to practice shooting some. Anyways I have been practicing next to a pond that is about 500 yards from a feeder. Well it started to get kinda dark, the sun was going down so I packed up my target and bows in the truck and was driving off, I drove by the feeder on my way and look south towards a big grove of oak trees since its about time for the deer to start moving I thought I might see something.

Well I did, I saw what I thought was a calf like a yearling calf 400-500 lbs no central Texas whitetail for sure. But something was odd about this calf I thought to myself as I got closer (its about 150-175 yrds away)... it was tall like a deer and had antlers. I hit the brakes and grabed my binoculars out of the back seat. As I stopped it stopped right behind a tree now about 140 yrds away. I pulled up slowly to get it in full view, what the heck?? It looked like an elk almost. My heart is pounding like I am on a hunt or something..lol.. It starts walking and walks somewhat to ward my truck or in the direction it was headed before...towards the feeder. Im thinking what is this so I pull up the hill about 30 yards away from where I am, but a good vantage point to get out of its way if it wants to come to feed.

I sit on the hill and wait for it to come in so I can get a good look at it.. Well I must of spooked it because it never came I walked down the hill quitly thinking maybe it was wating for me to leave but it was gone.

I still cant figure out exactly what it was I am almost positive it wasnt an elk.. It was a dark brown/red color, very high horns not massive it looked like young antler growth. It had a short tail like an elk, and a white rump, I am thinking it was a red deer/ stag .. It was cool though my heart is still pounding. Guess it got out of a high fence ranch somewhere. Gonna go back out tomorrow and sit and see if I can get some pics.. Of course today I took my 1200 dollar 10X zoom camera that I bought to take pics of deer out of my truck cause I had it washed.

Oh well it was cool and maybe I will see it again.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Saw somethig pretty crazy today after getting in some practice...

Of course today I took my 1200 dollar 10X zoom camera that I bought to take pics of deer out of my truck cause I had it washed.
You wash your CAMERA???

I am not familar with anything down your way so I can be of no help. Hope you get some pictures once the camera dries.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:36 PM

lol .. I pretty much left myself open for that one...

Yeah my camera is all clean and dry and ready to take some pics..

I know whatever it was it isnt native to this area, State, and if it wasnt an elk then it didnt look like any North American species I have ever seen.. Alien Deer??

Anyone have any ideas from what I decscribed??
Old 09-15-2004, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's really cool. Hey if you are in Texas (which I'm assuming you are) and I'm not mistaken exotics have open season all year long. If they escape their range they are free to be taken in any legal method as long as you don't tresspass to do it. You may check that out, it could be a great bow kill. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I'm reading your post right you're in Texas correct?

Chances are it was a red stag that got loose from an exotic ranch. We used to have them on our place just north of Lampasas.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:10 PM

Yes I am from Texas, sorry didnt make that real clear.. I live about 30 miles north of Lampasas in Goldthwaite our place is 8 miles west of town.. I am like you I think it is a red stag that got out of an exotic ranch..
And yes I did think about shooting it as I was driving home. I think I could have shot it , but I am gonna check the rules tomorrow for sure... I heard a story of a guy who shot an elk in Texas on his place kinda same scenario as mine.. Of course if it is not mature, I dont guess I should take it .. sad thing is someone else will...
Old 09-16-2004, 03:54 AM

Great story springer01,please keep the posts and pics. coming. You have my curiousity aroused that's for sure!

Could it be???[8D]
Old 09-16-2004, 06:52 AM

I was student teaching up in Coweta County, GA just South of Atlanta. On my way to the school on a back road I saw the largest most ackward looking cow or bull that I had ever seen. I turned and went back and I saw, for the first time other than t.v., a huge a$$ buffalo. According to some folks the guy owns several of them. That was pretty neat. I felt I should pull a Kevin Costner and start doing a dance.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like some exotics got loose to me man. You might have a red stag or a fallow or something like that.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:14 AM

In a few years we should have good herds of exotics free roaming in texasI would love to get an exotic and not have to pay a thousand dollars to do it

Quick Reply: Saw somethig pretty crazy today after getting in some practice...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.