Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Got the shet scared out of me....

Old 09-13-2004, 07:08 AM

Default RE: Got the shet scared out of me....

[:-] Man o Man Muley 69, you got me watching this forum like crazy now, if i don't hear you post then your going to really tick me off!! Geez!! building up the tension and i am gonna go through this puter and bring you to your senses.
I once was running thru the Flat Head Indian Reservation in Idaho,and my tie rod gave out and i almost went over the side of the mountain,anyway, some Army trucks rumbled past and all the personnel were laughing at me, and then the next week they find our local UNA- Bomber in your neighborhood, and i am really beginning to wonder about that NECK OF THE WOODS!!!
Old 09-13-2004, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

See, stories like this is what I'm thinking about when going to (am) or from (pm) my stand. They do make an interesting read for us Midwest boys. There have been rumors that we have bobcats around and definitely coyotes are thick as he11, but can't imagine being confronted by a huge mountain lion or bear. That changes everything...and I wouldn't hesitate about carrying a side-arm for my safety.

Great story and glad you're fine.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:08 AM

Man, I soiled my undershorts just reading this!!! The only predator I have to worry about is another hunter!!! We do have coyotes where I hunt, but they are freaked out by us when we see them!!! Good Luck!!!!!
Old 09-13-2004, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

Hunter25 that's no rumnor it's fact.I saw what I thought was one frozen in a swamp where I hunt on my father in laws property,he also thinks that he saw one and not knowing what I saw pretty much confirmed it.My brother told me two years ago durring slug season in southern Il that his hunting buddy was hunting from the ground, that he had a mother and her kits walk right past him.They asked the DNR a couple years ago and they denied having any in the state, but when my brothers bud reported the mother and kits ,they said they did in fact release some in the state.I'm not nervous about bobcats,but a mountain lion would scare the crap out of me.I have read some about these cats and know they will travel great distance for a meal,sometimes 50 miles a day or something like that.I was coming out of the woods one evening after bowhunting and remember something matching me step for step and it wasn't anything that seemed to be afraid,it followed me through the woods till I got out into the opening,I'll never forget that one.I have seen packs of yotes in the woods I hunt and have arrowed them,and at least once heard them having a venison meal,but never thought that they would want me as their lunch,but ya never know.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

we don't have mountain lions or so the PGC tells us....
Same deal in MI. Although there is an aweful lot of stories and sightings.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:03 AM

[:-]I'd have to check my pants. Definately invest in a flashlight and possibly an assult weapon since the ban just expired. Anything to stay safe
Old 09-13-2004, 08:54 PM

I posted this on another thread but I'll post it here as well.
A few years ago a buddy and I had packed into the Buffalo Bill area in Plains, Montana. We were working down a revine that was a bottle neck with high walls on each side and thick brush on the bottom. The smell of a rotting carcass filled the air. After a brief argument who should go down the trail first, I lead the way. My budddy reasoned that since I had the pistol, I should lead, after offerring him my weapon and the lead, I proceeded upon his refusal. The brush was thick and there was bear scat everywhere, fresh too. My buddy hissed "Stop! Right there!" and he pointed. I lifted my loaded and ready .45 Auto and strained to see the bear. The brush exploded and I fired two rounds in self defense as the grouse cleared the brush and flew away. My buddy nearly fell over laughing, I, however, didn't think it was so funny.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:34 PM

Hey Katbones, from what I've read I expect that I will never see that cat again, however, if he is hunting the same herd as me, we might have to sit down and have a man to cat talk.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow. good thing i dont have them around here to worry about. thing that bothers me the most is the misquitos.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:23 AM

great story. That happend to me last weekend. I was walking back to camp and there was just a little flicker of light still so i came around the corner of a corn field and there was a bobcat. He started troting towards me and i reliezed what was going on. So in panic i graped my radio and starting calling into camp. It got within about 30 yrds when it got the pic that i didnt want to be a snake for her dinner so it jumped into the woods. I then grabed the bow off my back and put an arrow on and walked back to camp a little more cautiously.

Quick Reply: Got the shet scared out of me....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.