Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I need a GOOD Scent COVER... any ideas?

Old 09-11-2004, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I need a GOOD Scent COVER... any ideas?

Besides being all scent killed and scent free as possible, What is the best scent cover to use? I am sitting on the ground opening day with the girlfriend. I need to cover our scent best as possible..

What do you guys reccomend?
Old 09-11-2004, 01:32 PM
Spike

Default RE: I need a GOOD Scent COVER... any ideas?

I have tried two great cover scents. Both Scent-A-Way and Scent Killer. Both of them worked very well, but I stick with Scent Killer. What I do is keep my clothes washed with scent free Scent Killer detergent and then put them in a bin or hamper with Scent Killer Autumn blend (smells like dirt and leaves) to let it soak into the clothes. You can just spray that in the hamper or bin or you can buy these little wafers to spray it into. Then when you decide to go hunting put on the clothes and freshin them up by respraying them. I have had deer literally 10 yards from my tree stand and the wind blowing RIGHT into them and they did not smell me. I have never had a deer smell me out using this method.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a big scent-a-way fan and prefer to use Carbon Blast on my boots. However for cover scent, I have found great luck with Jackie's Deer Lures, the earth scent one, does a heck of a job. Not sure how widespread the product is, it's produced in Tollsboro Kentucky. It's kept me hidden with beads of sweat on my forehead and does a good job if used on your boots as your walking in.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default The best cover scent ever!

ITs called....
The wind in your face.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:00 PM

AFTER WASHING EVERYTHING I TAKE INTO THE FIELD WITH SCENT FREE SOAP AND SPRAYING EVERYTHING DOWN WITH SCENT KILLER. I USE THE FRESH EARTH SCENT WAFERS I THINK THEY ARE FROM HUNTERS SPECIALTIES. I PIN ONE TO MY HAT AND ONE TO THE SEAT ON MY CLIMBER SEEMS TO WORK PRETTY WELL.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

I like some of the products mentioned and have had success with them. When I'm on the ground however, I use Raccoon urine. This probably isn't going to sit well with your little lady. I've had deer walk by downwind and never go on alert. Initially it's a bit foul smelling, but embarassingly enough, I've come to like it. [8D]
Old 09-11-2004, 02:53 PM

fox pee for the win!!!

Old 09-11-2004, 02:58 PM

The H.S. scent wafers work really well. You can pin those to your clothes and seal them up in a plastic bag and when you get dressed everything that was in the plastic bag will have that earth scent smell to them.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:58 PM

I think jollyarcher and sneeky have a good view on this. I too use fox or raccoon urine as a cover as they both are common to the woods and deer are accustomed to them>My thinking anyway.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not a fan of cover up scents like fox, raccoon or skunk scents and heres why.

I go as scentless as possible using scent killer only....I think of it like this......if the neighbor used let's say fox urine to cover his human oder that he didn't take care of to begin with, and he consistantly jumped deer or spooked deer the deer are going to associate the fox urine with danger regardless how accustom they are to in the woods, they'll associate that smell with that human who jumps them....that's not a chance I'm going to take.

Quick Reply: I need a GOOD Scent COVER... any ideas?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.