Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shoot up the does

Old 09-10-2004, 02:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shoot up the does

Herd management is great. However, for other reason it's great as well. Gewt the doe early and put em in the freezer early. Get that first deer out of the way and then look for the king!

J
Old 09-10-2004, 02:13 PM

I have a place with a high doe to buck ratio. Here is my game plan each year. Shoot every doe you see. Just when you think you have shot enough doe shoot a bunch more. You should be good then for the year.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:14 PM

I agree Muzzy Chucker, take the does as they present themselves, and you should be in a great position to really enjoy some serious buck hunting later on.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

Not real sure when the season opens in PA? It opens here in a week. I always have my best buck hunting in September, far better than the rut here, if you have them patterned well. We see few does at this time though, but come October, we have a hard time finding the bucks untill halloween. So thats when I whack does. However this year I am being forced to earn a buck, so I will have to shoot a doe 1st. It feels funny patterning does right now.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:03 PM
Typical Buck

I agree. QDM is a must do. Putting the mature doe in the freezer early allows me to concentrate on Mr. Big while doing my part. It was said early in the replys, taking the doe gets me back in the game from the previous year as well. Good hunting.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:25 PM

Unfortunately doe season up here is not until the 2nd week in November and it last for 7 days only. By that time most of the does have been mounted and may or may not be carrying next years fawns. Tough decision. Although, culling the population to keep the ratio in line is necessay.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:32 PM
Spike

i never pass a doe that is big enough to have butchered. unless there is a real big buck around. i love to hunt deer , not just big trophy bucks. its always nice to get a nice buck, but my wife and son loves deer meat and i usualy try for three a year . we can only take one buck a year in ohio so i either take a buck and two does or three does. things are usualy more interesting with less does around i think your doing well taking does.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's why it's called "DEER" hunting not "BUCK" hunting. Last we we shot 6 doe and 1 buck on our 80 acres. This year I am planning on more. We have seen as many as 14 doe and fawns in one group this summer. We actually saw 7 fawns with 4 does in May on about 20 acres of the property. Looks like everything we killed last year was replaced.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

"If it's brown, it's down."

That's our motto. [8D]
Old 09-10-2004, 08:00 PM

here in north texas you can only shoot does during archery and the first 2 weeks of gun season so waiting till late in the season isnt an option for us

Quick Reply: Shoot up the does

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.