Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

5 stages of a hunter

Old 09-10-2004, 09:11 AM

Default 5 stages of a hunter

I'm recycleing a post that started back in June by a member north 4. In light of the "Trophy or just a nice deer" and "which would be more of a trophy" post I think this is very fitting. Judging by the responces from everyone it is clear that this board is made up of hunters that are in the diffrent stages of progression. Take it with a grain of salt. We are all hunters and I respect the opions of all of you, I just though it was interesting.

I came across this article by a local hunting columnist about a Wisconsin study conducted in the 1970s of how hunters go through various stages as they age. I thought you might enjoy this article as well as find yourself in one of these various stages.

"First is called the shooter stage, it's the time in life, often for a beginner, when the hunter can't get enough shooting. Some beginners manage to skip over this stage, while others take a long time.

"Next comes the limiting-out stage, anything less than a limit of whatever the hunter is after means it was a poor day.

"Following comes the trophy stage. That's when the big buck, the giant Canada goose or big greenhead mallard are a must. Anything less regal is not worth shooting.

" The method stage comes next. That's when the hunter has to have the best and latest in hunting equipment. Which is quite a challenge today, what with all the various equipment available. In this stage, taking game becomes secondary to out-smarting it. During this stage, some move into bow and muzzleloader activities. Some of us move through this phase when we reach a point where we have so much gear that we can't take it all with us.

"The final or mellowing-out phase is not reached by many before the age of 40 and only after many years of hunting. That's when satisfaction comes from the whole hunting experience and the pace is much more leisurely and relaxed. It's the time when a hunter might pick up the video recorder or camera, while others do the shooting. The whole experience is one of satisfaction."
Old 09-10-2004, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 5 stages of a hunter

Hmm, I guess I'd place myself between somewhere between the 4th and 5th stage.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm in my final stage then....the mellowing out phase....many times I've video'd and not shot on many an animal both alone and while with a friend.....it's the whole experience that is hunting for me now.....that's one reason my buck tag has been unfullfilled in 2 seasons......I'm there for the whole experience and just simply want to outdo the last buck I took....I passed some really good bucks, video'd them and loved it.

Nice post, thanks for bringing it back.

ps, I'm 37.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd have to say I'm somewhere between the trophy and the method stage. I would love to videotape friends/family hunting, but when it comes right down to it I have a hard time sacrificing my own time in the woods and my own opportunity to harvest the deer I've been working for all year. Call it being selfish, or call it only being 24 and still a long way from 40, I don't care. Although I think every hunter has some of that final stage of satisfaction in them, at least in part. That's why we're really all out there - the enjoyment we get from the entire experience. Some of us put more emphasis on one stage of it or another, but we're still all in it for the grand scheme of things. At least, I hope we all are.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:43 AM

I think an argument could be made that phases 3 and 4 could be interchanged, and often overlap. I find myself buying a lot of latest greatest, after a lot of research, in my attempt to outsmart the trophy buck I am after.

At any rate, I am in between 3 and 4, delving into each and having a lot of fun with it. I am 38, but still relatively new to archery hunting, so I may be in my 50's before I hit stage 5. I do enjoy the whole hunting experience, but still get disappointed if I don't score on a decent buck by the end of the season.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:48 AM

Nice post, thanks for bringing it back.
As I've mentioned before I'm the historian on the board and recycling post is becomeing my expertise.

I fail to "diagnose myself" in the original post. At 26 years old I find myself between stage 3 and 4 but also with a touch of 5. I am selevtive in looking for a trophy but not shooting one dosn't ruin my hunt. Method is very important to me. I've all but given up hunting with guns and I personally get more out of hunt with my bow. It's just more appealing to me. The touch of stagr 5 comes from my desire to be in the woods. Shooting a deer or trophy buck is secondary to just being in the woods which is ultimately what I love most about hunting.

These 5 category of hunters is a good list but it dosn't mean everyone will fit the mold. I think everyone can relate to it though if they look back through out their hunting careers.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a little bit of all of them but 3. I've never held out for the biggest deer in the woods. It's like I tease my buddy about, I'm usually dragging out my doe while he's waiting for Mr. Big.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

3, 4 and a touch of 5 for me. I have gone nuts this season updating everything and am looking only for the bigger bucks. I also can't get enough of the time with my son, dad and nephew. It's a great time to be alive.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I skipped all those stages and went right to. . . um. . . they are the cutest animals alive who would want to harvest one of those animals? Thank you for the meat and the memories!

Old 09-10-2004, 02:49 PM

I am on the Fourth stage right now, if people normaly dont reach the fifth stage until they are in their forties, Im going to be broke as a joke. Im only 23, and I buy stuff non-stop, I cant stop doing it either. I have a problem..... Its an interesting perspective though. Nice Post

Quick Reply: 5 stages of a hunter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.