Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Any Luck Hunting Sorgum, Cane Fields???

Old 09-08-2004, 09:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default Any Luck Hunting Sorgum, Cane Fields???

Went out to south central Kansas this weekend with some buddies to do some work on tree stands and low and behold when we got there, the field that for at least the last 10 years was winter wheat, is now whatever you want to call it, sorgum, cane, shumac, hygear...etc...my main concern is that we are surrounded by wheat fields and I was worried that the deer would vacate the area we are hunting for "greener pastures". Does anyone have experience hunting over this stuff? Seems like the farmers in many areas down there went hog wild planting it and I'm used to hunting over wheat, alfalfa, milo, beans, and corn. Do deer like this stuff or what????? Thanks in advance for help.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Any Luck Hunting Sorgum, Cane Fields???

Never hunted Deer over it, but I'm sure the Dove will pack in there! I know...I am no help! Good luck this year

Jay
Old 09-08-2004, 09:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Yes , deer like sorghum .
I use the scent of locally pressed sorghum as an attractant for does . Check the canes for signs of browsing and the surrounding dirt for tracks , I'll bet you find both .
Old 09-08-2004, 10:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well, if they like sorghum..it's not there first choice....we planted a food plot with large strips of sunflower, biologic and sorghum....while the sunflower was growing the deer never touched the biologic or sorghum....once the sunflower was picked clean, and it was....the deer pounded the biologic.....they never seemed to touch the sorghum....in our plot anyway.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:15 PM

deer will eat the seed heads out of these once you get a little later into the season. I plant it every year and find in my area, the start on it around Nov.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:49 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the input fellas...Rob, I tend to agree with you although my buddies think this stuff will be great, I'm not so sure...especially with a sea of winter wheat surrounding us.[]