Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shot distance?

Old 09-06-2004, 05:07 AM

Default RE: shot distance?

Another thing to consider is being able to stay in control of your shot when an animal is in. I had a buddy miss a bull elk four times at 20 yards! Two over the back, two under the belly. When he first pulled back I could here his arrow rattling on the bow. It was a small rag horn, but it rattled my buddy. He simply wasn't prepared to make the shot, and was lucky he didn't wound the critter. The best method for staying in control is to talk to yourself when the critter is in. Be calm and discuss the shot with yourself, once you can calmy execute a shot, then you can worry about distance.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

Its all a matter of personal prefrence, what you feel comfortable with shooting. I personally dont like to take shots over 30 yards with my bow. As far as the close shots, well the closer the better, i have taken deer at 10 yards before with my bow, makes it alot easier.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:46 AM

tpst:

What everyone is saying is true. my little bit to say is that when i first started bow hunting I was terrified to take a shot over 20 yrds. the main key is PRACTICE. Yes some people will shoot 50 yrds, I myself however won't shoot beoynd 40. I am as comfortable with a 40 yrd shot as I am with a 7 yrd shot. The key to getting that way is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Not 1,2,3 times a week but 6 or 7. I hope my little bit helps. Good luck and good huntin'!