Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Peep Sight Problem ?

Old 09-04-2004, 08:57 AM

Default Peep Sight Problem ?

My problem is that my cables on the bow block my sight pins,not all the time,just at different drawbacks.
I have moved the whisker biscuit and sight pins to the outside,as well as, turned my cableguard guide into different positions, and still the problem persists?? The peep sight is blocked by the cables.If i hold back long enough, the cables seem to finally adjust and allow me to see through the peep to the sight pins.
Do i switch my set-up to just using the sight pins, or do i have other options here??
Thank you for any help .

Katbones-- (1996) Browning Fusion 40 inch ATA, Draw lenghth = 31.5 inch,
60 pounds @ 65% letoff.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:02 PM

Default RE: Peep Sight Problem ?

Not sure I understand. If you cableguard is adjusted correctly your cables should be out of the way unless your squeezing and twisting the bow. A relaxed bow hand will take care of that. Is your peep not coming around to give you the full hole each time, in which case your string is blocking your peep.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

why change your entire setup for your peep. I would change my peep. Remember your peep can be repositioned easier than everything else. Do you do it yourself or do you take it to a local shop? I have had numerous probelms with peeps over the past couple of years and I recommend getting one that works best for you. I have a problem with light coming in and I have found one that works best for me. Find one that works for you and the bow.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm far from being an expert but it sounds to me that the problem is with your shooting form.
Old 09-05-2004, 12:52 PM

I'm a bit confused, but I think I know what you are talking about. You are saying cables, but I don't think that is what you mean. The cables, or the harness is the set of strings on the inner part of your bow as you look at from the back (as you would be holding it in your hand). And thy should be to the right of your string if you are right handed. If these are in your way, there is either something seriously wrong with your bow, or the way you are holding it.

I think is what you are trying to say is that where your peep sight is served in the string splits in order to hold the peep. It will either split into two, three or four parts. And sometimes when you draw back it rotates in a mannor that puts one of the sections of string in your view between the peep and the pins. I'm going to guess you have a peep that looks like a cheerio in your string. If it is the type that splits the string into three sections, I suggest getting one that splits it into four. Only becuase they are easier to get in the right position. If it is one that splits into two or four you just need to get it adjusted right to begin with. Take it somewhere and have them put a half a twist in your string (or out) and see if it helps. Chances are your string stetched some and now your peep does not rotate correctly any more. Pretty comon problem with peeps. That's why some use the rubber cord that attaches to them, or go with a peepless device like the No Peep.

You also may have installed the peep when the bow was new, or with a new string and now it has settled. Never fine tune a bow untill you have shot it for a little bit and the string settles in. You will most likely have to to change things a bit after this happens.

Solutions: Adjust your string so the peep rotates correctly at full draw. Use a rubber tube to align it correctly (takes away some speed and may be noisy). And possibly get better newer strings and cables. The newer cables are pre stretched and don't settle or rotate when you draw them back (unless you put a bunch of twists in them). And if you have a mathews with zebra string, I would suggest getting rid of it. I don't hear very good things about those strings. (the strings, not the bow, great bows, not so great strings from what I can gather)

If I'm not correct in my assumption about what is happening, let us know.

Here is a link for you to check out.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm

Good luck,
Paul
Old 09-05-2004, 05:18 PM

Paul,

Even if you were not correct about Kats problem, you helped me a ton!

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2004, 05:45 PM

My wife shoots fingers and I swear that every other time she shoots, I spend half an hour tweaking her peep.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:47 PM

I would guess you have one of about three problems.

Either you are torquing the bow in your hand. Loosen up that grip

Your peep is twisting on the string. If you are finger shooting then don't twist the string. If you have a release either get a peep with rubber tubing or install a loop and set it to align you peep.

Or you cable guard is not adjust properly.

All these can be fixed at your local bow shop or by having a friend who shoots watch you draw it back.