Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question on Pope & Young scoring

Old 08-28-2004, 07:55 AM

Default Question on Pope & Young scoring

I shot an 8 pointer quite a few years ago and I was going to try and get a rough score of it yesterday but ran into a few questions. The score sheet asks for how many points on each side as well as the tip to tip, inside and greatest spread but then says "Spread credit may equal but not exceed longer main beam". My question is that the inside spread is a quarter inch longer than the longest main beam so do I not add the tip to tip or greatest spread into the score? Would my total spread credit only be as long as the longest main beam then? Also I added up the G1, 2s and 3s but the score sheet makes it look like you don't add in the points finishing off the main beam if this makes any sense. Is this true? Would this buck actually be considered a 6 pointer then?

If this is too confusing I can try to post a picture to help if I can figure out how. The rack is by no means a trophy in the record book sense but it is the only buck I have ever shot and a decent size one for the area I hunt so it is a trophy to me.

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question on Pope & Young scoring

I think the tip to tip and greatest spread is not needed. I have never understood why they even put it on there. Maybe someone else can help with that.

As for the inside spread that is all you get credit for. If your inside spread is 17 3/8 but your longest main beam is only 16 7/8 then your credit in column 1 would only be the 16 7/8.

On an 8 point you do add the G1, G2 and G3. The "finishing off the main beam" point is part of the main beam score so that is where that point gets totalled in.

I'm not sure if that all makes sense. Hope it helps.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:17 PM
Typical Buck

I'm not an expert, but I did recently attend a B&C scoring seminar. The tip-to-tip and greatest inside spread measures are only listed for interest sake, they are not part of the score.

If I understand your question on points that are scored, an "8-pointer" receives G1, G2, and G3 scores, but no G4. A typical 10-pointer gets a G4 but no G5, and so on. In other words, you don't get to double count the end of the main beam that makes the final "point". Remember that you took that measure already for the main beam's score.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:37 AM

Thanks for the info.