Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Too much tech, too little savy

Old 08-29-2004, 09:40 PM

Default RE: Too much tech, too little savy

When I proposed the possibility that technology had exceeded hunters ability, i was merely articulating a question. I agree with Bow in one sense, that indeed, ultimately the resposibilty lies with the individual hunter. Perhaps too, there is simply more bow hunters then before, thus more wounded critters. My concern, however, lies in the obvious truth that the majority of discussion on this and other boards is with equipment and gizmo's as opposed to hunting skill. It is plausible then, that the responsibilty lies with all of us to ensure that more important than bow speed, is the ability to get close and take good shots. To get close, you gotta be a good hunter. Maybe this thread is what we all need. When my companions talk about how fast there bows shoot, I always remind them that the fastest arrow takes longer to get fifty yards, then the slowest arrow to get ten.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was at a bow hunting seminar when the speaker told everyone the greatest improvement in the sport of archery has already been made. He claimed that every year bows are getting faster but the hunters are not increasing there maximum effective range. He claimed that most deer every year are shot inside of 20-yards? I have know idea how he could back up that statement?
He said the greatest advance we have today is the mechanical release. The release lets go of the string the same way everytime. He at one time shot fingers. He said he still could shoot fingers but the release made being accurate much eaisier.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:12 PM

.....the fastest arrow takes longer to get fifty yards, then the slowest arrow to get ten.

I have to add that statement to my collection of quotes that are great comebacks.

This statement runs well with "I would rather have a slow hit than a fast miss!"
Old 08-30-2004, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

He claimed that most deer every year are shot inside of 20-yards? I have know idea how he could back up that statement?
He can back that statement up with statistics. According to hunter surveys, the average shot distance is about 18 yards.

He said the greatest advance we have today is the mechanical release.
We had mechanical releases long ago. Very good ones, at that. Hardly 15% of archers used them. It wasn't until the mid-90's that I attended a tournament where there were more release shooters than there were fingers shooters. By that time, bows had shrunk from around 45" down to 40", letoffs had gone from 50% up to 65% and they were getting harder to shoot with fingers. Now a 40" bow is considered a l-o-n-g sonuvagun and letoffs are ridiculously high, up to 99%! It's not that the release makes it easier to shoot accurately. It's that the vast majority of today's bows are designed for the release and are nearly impossible to shoot with fingers.

I don't consider the release to be a major advance. It's merely a necessity with most bows they put out today. (Speaking of which, why would anyone pay full price for a 3/4 size bow?)

IMO, the greatest advances in the past 30 years have been in treestand technology. Far more folks use them today than 30 years past. However, if I had my choice of one piece of equipment to have banned, that would be it. I'm tired of hearing how Billy Bob Butthead didn't practice his shooting from a treestand and proceded to wound several deer. But as bad as that is, it's not the worst thing about them. They are, far and away, the most dangerous piece of equipment a hunter can use. I'm very tired of hearing about hunters getting killed or permanently crippled by falling out of those things.

Again, it's no fault of the treestand, it's the people that use them. People buy them and then don't get accustomed to their use, or shooting from them, before opening day. Even experienced hunters let their minds wander and make mistakes that can cost them their lives. I can't help wondering... How many potential Darwin award winners went out this weekend and bought treestands.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:30 AM

Whenever I see a "hang on" hanging by just the chain it came with, 25-30 ft in the clouds, with tree-steps half screwed into the tree, I want to ask the idiot if he is concerned how his family will fare after he is dead or paralyzed.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

We had mechanical releases long ago. Very good ones, at that. Hardly 15% of archers used them. It wasn't until the mid-90's that I attended a tournament where there were more release shooters than there were fingers shooters. By that time, bows had shrunk from around 45" down to 40", letoffs had gone from 50% up to 65% and they were getting harder to shoot with fingers. Now a 40" bow is considered a l-o-n-g sonuvagun and letoffs are ridiculously high, up to 99%! It's not that the release makes it easier to shoot accurately. It's that the vast majority of today's bows are designed for the release and are nearly impossible to shoot with fingers.

I never thought about it that way because I started using a release long ago (over 20 years ago) , but it does make perfectly good sense. If a beginner compound shooter wanted to start off with a compound that he could finger shoot with these days he/she would have a hard time finding something that wouldn't (A) force them to use a release or (B) send them back to traditional.[&:] It's too bad! My favorite bow of all time was my Martin Firecat w/50% letoff , 43" ata , 8 3/4" brace height. God I miss her!
Old 08-30-2004, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, BF, I guess that's one of my main gripes about technology. It's forcing everyone into one little cubbyhole. There's not much diversity in shooting styles any more. I'm one of only two guys I know of in the entire Dallas/Fort Worth area that shoots a compound w/fingers any more. And I also shoot barebow, which makes me even MORE rare. Nowadays, about the only differences in compound shooting styles are in how long the stabilizers are and whether it's fixed pins or adjustable scopes.

You lament your long lost Firecat... I've been snooping around the pawn shops, flea markets and second hand stores looking for a Golden Eagle Hunter. That's the one I wish I'd kept.

Looking back after 16 years of fastflight rigging, I'm not so sure we're better off than we were with steel cables and dacron strings. Bows are faster now, but man! The tuning you have to do with 'em! Those old bows weren't nearly as much trouble - as long as you shot reasonable arrow weights. Otherwise, they'd slash you into little pieces when those cables cut loose.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

I couldn't agree with you more muley. So many guys get all torqued up about their bow but can't get within 50 yards of a mature whitetail deer.[]
Old 08-30-2004, 01:34 PM

My favorite bow of all time was my Martin Firecat w/50% letoff , 43" ata , 8 3/4" brace height. God I miss her!
Still have mine (Firecat). Although I have not used it for awhile since I moved up to the Martin Sonics, the Firecat is ready to go.

I made some great shots with the Firecat. May be one of the sweetest pulling and easiest tuning bow I have ever owned. BTW, just for the "zoomies;" the Firecat in question has standard wheels, and I could blow through a deer with 2314's and Muzzy's. Once hit a slightly running buck at 18 yards with the Firecat. Took out the boiler room, the arrow kept penetrating and busted his opposite shoulder.

Great bow!
Old 08-30-2004, 01:57 PM

I agree. I have buddies that want to get all the latest, greatest tech stuff, but I have a simple 3 pin sight, and my bow only shoots about 230 fps IBO, but placed correctly, it is enough to get the job done. You don't need all the toys, but they are fun to have while practicing. I wouldn't take it out into the field.

Quick Reply: Too much tech, too little savy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.