Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

season getting close and no where to hunt

Old 08-27-2004, 02:57 AM

Default season getting close and no where to hunt

Been looking for a new spot to hunt the land i been hunting for 7 years was lost due to the owner passing away.I have been going out every day i have off and knocking on doors either the spots are already being hunted or they want cash.Iam married with 3 sons and cant affoed to pay the kind of money these people want.If anyone has an idea or knows of another way i should be going about trying to find a spot to hunt in ohio before its to late please do tell iam all ears and would be forever in your debt.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: season getting close and no where to hunt

sorry to hear this......isnt there any public land you can hunt.....most of where i hunt are quota only, but theres a few that you dont need a permit for......
Old 08-27-2004, 05:17 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree with Huntnma ,
try looking up small underhunted public properties on topo maps . I spend at least half of my time hunting small publics , and I don't usually have much competition . A parcel that is only 40 acres or less but gets no pressure has a great chance of being a honey hole .
Old 08-27-2004, 05:30 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm not sure where you live but I use to travel all the time to Ohio. I've scouted Columbus Suburbs and picked out several spots I would pursue access on. In fact the suburbs are where I saw the most and biggest deer. Don't over look them. I always work deer into my conversations with people. When I say conversations I'm talking at work, conference calls and at social gatherings. It doesn't take much property at all to get a shot at a wall hanger.

Good luck!
Old 08-27-2004, 07:32 AM

How are you going about trying to gain permission? Maybe you have to polish your routine when asking?? Sorry to hear about this problem. There is plenty of land here you could hunt, if you could afford to make a trip up. The deer here aren't world class, but they are high in number and there is plenty of land to be hunted, especially with a bow.