Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Public Land Hunting

Old 08-24-2004, 08:38 AM

Default Public Land Hunting

I was wondering about peoples' approach to hunting on Public Land. I found a nice area near my home that is all public land, but I am assuming it gets hunted fairly heavy. How would you go about not pissing off other hunters who know the area and have stands, or blinds set up. I scouted it quickly on Saturday and saw some really great places that I would like to hunt, but I didn't know if it was someone else's spot. I know it is public land, but I would be upset if I found a nice place and some newbie just took it over. I do look for obvious blinds or stands, but what is the best approach to not pissing off our fellow hunters. Here is my idea. I will hunt the first time in the afternoon. That way I can approach my spot during light so I can tell if someone else is there and steer clear of them. Plus I won't ruin someone's morning hunt by stomping in before the AM.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:53 AM

Default RE: Public Land Hunting

I think you're going about it the right way by bow hunting. You should find a lot less pressure durring archery season.

As far as "who's sopt it is" Public land = First come first serve. No one owns a particular tree and in many states it is illegal to leave a stand on public property. The best bet is to find a couple of aeras you'd like to hunt and then get in early in the morning. I like to hunt public land with a climber so you can be more versitle. I can tell you're good natured but the fact you don't want to step on toes. It's not a bad thing to be humble but you have just as much right to hunt a given spot as the next guy
Old 08-24-2004, 09:14 AM

Well, you definitely don't want to get into a pissing match with one of the orange army slobs. I approach public land based on pressure. If it gets hunted hard, I don't hunt it. I then find areas I like that are hard to get too or way off the beaten path.

I would slip into the place early in the morning and be listening for hunters whistling at you, etc. If you get there first there should be no problems from any other hunters, they should move on.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree....

Here in VA, we have a few WMA's that are so heavily hunted, it is utterly ridiculous!! [:@] I mean like, the parking lots are so jam packed on a Saturday morning - it looks like a county fair going on! I go way off the beaten path, into state forests and lesser known WMA's.

Butch A.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:25 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't know about other states but the publics where I live don't get much pressure at all , especially during bow seasons . The land I hunt gets so little traffic that usually only one othe rguy is there on 400 acres . The prejudice against public land is totally unfounded where I hunt .
Old 08-24-2004, 01:16 PM

Well the key word in your question is PUBLIC that means everybody can hunt it , not one person can claim a spot as his/hers they and you must understand that . I hunt public land and the way i do it is i hunt the less likely place , i hunt during the week when there is less pressure be very picky about who you tell where you are hunting and where you take deer from .the less that know the better . good luck and good hunting .
Old 08-24-2004, 02:46 PM

You'll probably find that during bow season there are a lot less hunters out in the woods than during the firearm season. I always enjoy bow season because it's the season for real hunters and skilled hunters. So, you will most likely find the woods will not be too crowded.

I always abide by first come, first served in public lands. So, always scout multiple areas in case you discover another hunter already beat you to your preferred area.

As for how to hunt public lands, I tend to recommend going deep and very deep. Further into the woods than a normal hunter would go. This way you can be assured no other hunters will be bothering you. You might also consider huntingt he edges of the public land where they are adjacent to private property. Deer will meander between to the two parcels.

Good luck and be safe.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in a 22,000 acres WMA, and my number one rule for hunting it is to use your legs, not your vehicle. I generally hike AT LEAST 1 mile before I begin looking for a place to set up. 2 miles is better, and 3 is almost garunteed unpressured.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:13 PM

In the public lands arena, it is usually first come first serve. However the first thing to do is scout before the season, get maps and go to the area talk to the people of the area. Once you find the funnels, if a vehicle is near the area then you can be assured the hunter is in the funnel. Go away from the other hunters, go deep or go where other hunters may think its to close to the road or traffic. You would be surprised as to the deer that may be close to the road. Food source or travel to bedding is key.
Good Luck
Old 08-25-2004, 01:41 AM

I will tell you a couple of things......For a base I have hunted public land all of my hunting life. One thing is for sure, unfortunatly though it be sad I have to be ready that some retard is going to steal my stand on state land. Second if you scout and find a spot and there is not a stand in that spot or in the area than put yours there. First come first serve. Even though most people dont want problems as long as you try to be considerate you will be fine. But take heed....be know mistake you are trying to be successfull and to do that you cant be a little aggressive if you want that buck. If there is one someone else is after him too.