Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Speed of sound question. Need to settle a debate.

Old 08-23-2004, 01:08 PM

Default RE: Speed of sound question. Need to settle a debate.

I don't think string jumping is as much of an issue as people like to make it out to be. I think a lot of people like to use it as an excuse for just plain old missing, miss judging yardarge or pulling a shot.

The newer bows are plenty fast and quiet enough that it shouldn't be an issue. Bottom line is learn deer body language and don't shoot at alert deer. If you shoot a relaxed deer that isn't looking right at you the chances are really high the arrow will be in the dirt on the other side of the deer before it knows what happened. I find it hard to believe that a deer can hear something, react and be out of the way in a blink of an eye.

I don't remember where I read it, but some engineer or something did the math. In order for a deer to really jump the string after you shoot it's feet would have to leave the ground while it was going down, or be attached to the ground. It was physically impossible for it to move that fast in a downward motion and stay planted. It defies the laws of gravity.

I however have seen the video of them moving on the shot. These critters are amazingly weary and fast.

I don't believe the speed differences you are talking about would make any difference at all to the deer. They would help with the yardage however. You could be a bit off on your estimation and hit closer to your mark than with a slower bow.

Paul
Old 08-23-2004, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen a few string jumpers on hunting shows - most of the time the shots are 50yards plus - plenty enough time for an animal with good hearing to react - including humans IMO.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:39 PM

I too think string jump is highly over rated. I've had one deer duck my arrow in 15 yrs of bowhunting. That old do was 20yds, facing straight on and watched me draw, I realeased and she ducked to the left and that arrow wizzed right on by.

Yes, it was a stupid shot, I was 13 and had only been hunting a few times with bow in hand.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:54 PM

When I first started Archery hunting.....about 4 years ago, I had a doe bust me...I was sitting at the base of a tree and she snuck up behind me...anyways, she ran off then turned around and started coming around the other side of the tree...the tree was huge, so she couldn't see me, so I pulled by bow back and waited for her to come around the other side, she finally came around and was only about 10yds. away, I released and in less than a second I watched her as she jumped straight up and I seen the arrow pass under her chest and into the ground as she ran off....I was completely amazed. It was my first year bowhunting, I was around 19 or 20 yrs. old and I didn't have any silencers or anything on my bow and it was pretty loud and it only shot about 180-200fps. That was the only time that happened but I couldn't believe a deer was able to jump out of the way at 10yds. Oh well, I've learned alot since then, lol.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:33 PM

Bowhunting October Whitetails. Find it. Watch it. At 20 yds they go slow motion. They superimpose a white line on the deer's belly. You hear the shot, the deer instantly starts to crouch. When the arrow reaches the deer, the white line is up on it's back as the arrow sails harmlessly over the top. Very impressive. Now I have to watch it again.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:32 PM

Someone once calculated that a bow would have to shoot faster than 700 feet per second before a deer couldn't get out of the way in time.

I've never had one jump. but then again, they didn't get a chance to hear that sound again.

I still wonder if the ones that do jump or duck, have been shot at before and they know that noise ain't good.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

I really think it all boils down to if the deer is in a state of relaxation or is very alert, JMO.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:57 PM

Jt has the answer, relaxed deer don`t jump the string. Deer that are alert and looking for danger can and do jump the string. If it was the noise from the bow that causes them to jump the string than no one shooting a crossbow would ever kill a deer. It always amazes me just how fast a deer can react.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can prevent the string jump if you place two large balls of cotton in the buck's ears prior to the shot. Of course, you'll have to be able to move faster than the speed of light, but if you can, you eliminate the problem of arrow speeds that are below the speed of sound.

E=mc2/light speed*3/kinetic energy of cotton ball placement/your age x your weight.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:21 PM

I just read an article on this subject. The writer said something like,....you need to aim about 17 inches low on a whitetail that is 30 yards away. Someone please tell me this is NOT accurate. I know that a deer will drop some, but 17 inches before the arrow hits! This just sounds a little extreme!

I don't have the experience yet, so I cannot dispute this. Does anyone actually aim below the deer's body??? If this is accurate, that has got to be one hell of a mental game.