Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tree stand theft???

Old 08-22-2004, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tree stand theft???

Ok here goes.
I have a very steep mountain that I hunt close to my home. It has 3 main rises with semi-level areas between them.
The only people that really hunt it have to use quads to get up.
I have a quad but dont want to drive too close to the area I hunt.
Now here is the question: Should I hang a portable stand and chance leaving it there?
My reasons are two-fold. 1. less noise setting up and 2. easier and quieter walking from quad to hunting area.

I have a climber and a hang on with step-sticks.
I was thinking of using the hang on and removing the step-sticks and only bringing them when I hunt.
Any suggestions???
Old 08-22-2004, 07:17 PM

Default RE: Tree stand theft???

It's a shame we have to worry about such things. I leave my climber chained to the base of the tree through bow season. Where I hunt, not too many guys walk around with bolt cutters.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:19 PM

I would suggest getting a very thick gauge of cable. Take it somewhere and have the ends welded together, but looped at each end. Buy one of the biggest master locks you can to lock the cable around your stand. If someone is going to take it.....they are going to have to work dang hard trying to either cut through the lock or the cable. Probably neither of which they are going to be able to do. I would suggest as you were saying, to use some type of climbing sticks and just put those up everytime you get out there.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

Yes it is sad!

I have seen steps on homemade wooden treestands get zipped down the center with a chain saw to prevent someone from using it.
Also have seen trees with lock ons simply cut down to get the stand.
Oh yeah and this is on private property.

I think I will do as Stump_MN_Hunter suggests, but I will lock my hang-on on the thickest trunk tree iI can find to prevent chain saws from going through too easily.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:23 AM

If you're able to put 1 screw into the tree this is the best tree stand lock on the market.

http://www.hunting-fishing-gear.com/...play/1179.html

Once the I bolt is in tight and the lock is locked there is no way to cut the lock. I't the best $15.00 I've spent. Piece of mind is priceless
Old 08-23-2004, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

Wow that is a great device!
Thanks for the link.
I WILL look into purchasing one.

Mr.D
Old 08-23-2004, 11:47 PM

people who steal stands are a real waste of life, i just dont see the need to take a stand u can go buy one or make one outa wood or simply hunt from the ground where i hunt we use screw on steps for the bottom 3-4 steps and then just take them out as we leave so noone can reach the other steps
Old 08-24-2004, 12:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

We all hunt together! Please think about your actions before stealing. We are all in the woods to enjoy ourself and do what we love. If your not doing this for these reasons, then you do not need someone elses stand, blind, feeder, camera. Stay home, and let us live the dreams.

HUNT FOR THE HUNT.