Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shot down again on land permission

Old 08-23-2004, 06:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Shot down again on land permission

Maybe it's your breath ?
I haven't really tried to seek permission for any properties this year and I already have more offers than time to use them . Granted , I get a lot more opportunities because I live in the country , but if you ask around enough anyone can get access . Is there somthing wrong with the public land in your area ?

Folks around here are so predjudiced toward public land that it hardly gets hunted . I frequently have hundreds of acres all to myself because everyone else thinks that they're too crowded . Gotta love public opinion sometimes .
Old 08-23-2004, 07:03 AM

Often time I find the biggest turn off to land owners is when they get request for 20 people for permission to hunt the month before the season opens. Early spring is the best time IMO to "open the door". Ask for permission to do some shed hunting, develope a relationship with the land owner and then work them for permission to hunt.

Were about are you spot light?
Old 08-23-2004, 07:43 AM
Dominant Buck

What works for me?

Don't over look residential areas. These places I have found offer the most hope for permission, not to mention quality deer. You don't just go up and ask some one to hunt but there are ways to gain access. First pick areas you want to hunt by scouting them. Next, find ways to be introduced to someones backyard. I find the easiest for me comes from the most ordinary conversations. I'm always working in the deer population problem and/or asking about someones back ground (ie. where did you grow up?, where do your parents live?). If I find out that they have access to property, connection to property or knows who does, I'm on it like flies on sh*t.

I can tell you that I haven't had to seriously look for property to hunt in years. I have my honey holes and backs ups, I can't hunt them all. I'm always looking though. I can be confident though I'll see a monster most every hunt. It's whether or not he will walk in front and offer a shot.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

I will be hunting in southern Ontario (Windsor/Essex) where there is no public property, except for the Conservation Authorities, that do not allow deer hunting. The area is all urban/farming with small plots of woods.

I thank you all for your advice , except for the bad breath LOL, and hope to find some good spots. After all I have a team to help with the deer contest.