Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How much does a butcher charge?

Old 08-21-2004, 01:18 PM

Default RE: How much does a butcher charge?

The place I go to charges $45 plus the hide
Old 08-21-2004, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had mine done by the butcher last year and if you gut it your self he charges $80 I believe but it kind of changes on what all you want My familys well known here so I got a discount and he only charged me $50 for 1/2 sausage 1/2 hamburger and he cut the back straps into steaks and he skinned, butchered, wrapped, and froze it all, But he kinda changes up depending on what all you want as far as all sausage 1/2 and 1/2, all burger and so on. But he does a really good job
Old 08-21-2004, 02:08 PM
Typical Buck

We usually do our own but got a bunch 2 years back & had a real butcher do 2. It was $60 a piece & we gutted them, I dont thnk he would have gutted them.
Thats in Washington county NY.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year $270 bucks for a large doe. I got jerky, brats, ground with 50% ground beef mixed, spicy sticks, and country sausage, and of coarse steaks and chops.

Good Luck!
Old 08-21-2004, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

Prices around here avg. $50 per deer ( boned out steaks, chops, roasts, and ground meat or stew meat) Although its not that high I still prefer to do it myself.

About 10 years ago a buddy helped me do a doe I shot with the muzzleloader. He did one side of the deer as it hung in the garage and he watched me do the other side and guided me along. It was a great help and I payed him with a $40 gift certificate from the liquor store.
Believe me it was money well spent! I have been doing my own since and actually enjoy it. I take my time and it usually takes around 1and 1/2 to 2 hrs to complete a deer. Thats skinning, separating muscle groups, slicing into steaks and chops, cutting stew meat and tying roasts.
I dont grind any at first but when I need ground meat I open a 2 lb. package of stew meat and run it through my grinder.

I believe that this process is an important part of the hunting experience and makes me more appreciative of the animal harvested. What I mean is that I know EXACTLY what I am eating.

Just my opinion though.

Mr.D
Old 08-21-2004, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

My local professional butcher charges 65 cents per pound.

So a 150 pound dressed deer would run you between $95 - $100. Plus $25 if you want the cape back, or $20 if you want the hide back.

There are also a couple guys who do it as a side buisness in the fall. They both charge $50 no matter the weight. No extra charge for capes or hides.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:59 PM

Last year it was around $55 dollars which included your regular cut and burger. If you wanted pork added to the burger, or other items i.e. sausage etc... it costs additional. I think that is where they make the money, they extra stuff...

Piney