Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you weigh your Deer? I mean....

Old 08-23-2004, 08:31 AM

Default RE: How do you weigh your Deer? I mean....

In my neck of the woods deer are measured in dressed weight. (Maine & New Hampshire)

It would either take an extremely confident hunter to bring a scale to the woods or a foolish hunter to drag it out whole to get a live weight.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:37 AM

Live weight
Old 09-17-2004, 07:14 AM

Adam the way to do it is to weight it dressed out. and if you want to guess the live weight there is somthing online that tells you what it would be live. its around 40lbs for a deer i think.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

I have never weighed one either. If I can pull him into the pickup box by myself, he's average, if not, he's a big one.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:31 AM

thats a good one wideone. how about if i cant strap it to my harley davidson what do i do?
do i call for back up
Old 09-17-2004, 07:51 AM
Dominant Buck

PROLINE:... When you do that girth measurement, do you do it before or after it's dressed?
Old 09-17-2004, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I come from the northeast, and deer are weighed after field dressing. I'm in IN now, and it seems most people I have talked to field dress deer here too. BUT I have seen plenty of TV shows and have heard of people taking their deer out of the woods before dressing. It seems to be the way they do it, especially as you go further south. That really surprises me, since spoilage occurs faster as temperature increases. Fastor in a poor hit, and man, I can see why some people think venison is gamey. They probably have only eaten deer that were not dressed for quite a while after they were shot. I think it has to do with the fact that these folks can often drive right to the deer and throw it in a truck. They don't have to drag much, and therefore don't need the benefit of reducing the weight.

I don't bother weighing any deer unless it is obviously over 150. Back in NH, we would all guess weights before putting them on the scale. After a while, you get pretty good at it, and most guesses are within 5 pounds under or over.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

i always say dressed weight....

its like the whole horse power debate, is the hp at the wheels or at the crank? you never see people talking baout hp at the crank anymore but then you get those punks that think they know everything and start talking about hp at the wheels when its really at teh crank!
Old 09-17-2004, 08:07 AM

We weigh them field dressed. Any fool who drags out a whole deeer should eat the ponch
Old 09-17-2004, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dressed weight is what I use. People are funny to watch when you bring a deer in and they think it weighs so much. I am pretty good at guessing doe weights in that 90-110 range.

Quick Reply: How do you weigh your Deer? I mean....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.